Automotive Control

pinworm21

Ok gentlemen here is a question for you, I am currently fixing up a VW Beetle and am going to do a body off custom. I plan on automating the whole car and possibly using a touch screen to control everything, including the actual ignition timing and cylinder firing (Small custom board made myself, that interfaces to the PLC via 485 2-wire) My question is has anyone here ever done anything like this ? I am looking to monitor the temp sensor on the block and controlling a electric cooling fan along with the regular doghouse mechanical fan.
What type of signal does the block temp sensors give off ?

Thanks

Dave

check the maker

I would find the make and model of the sensor and check with the manufacurer of the part. Automotive sensors ussually run off of 0-10v if i'm not mistaken. But that will also depend on the VW.

I'd love to hear how your experience goes. I thought about that a while back, what it would take to do it, how it would work, etc. And I too thought about using a beetle.

Good luck man!

Yes I'll be using an entertron PLC, probibly a Smart Pak Plus with analog only expansion card w 6 0-10vdc inputs and 2 RTD's, thats really the only PLC system I am familiar with, plus the price I cant beat....LOL

Dave