Panelview plus 7

drumman32

Hi all, I just purchased a new 2711P-T10C21D8S panelview plus. The problem I'm having is it won't communicate with my laptop. I went into the terminal settings, Network and comm, Net connections, Network Identification, F2 for Ip address. I set the ip address to 192.168.1.3 the subnet to 255.255.255.0. and leave the gateway blank. i reset the panel and when it comes on it is now showing the correct ip on the main screen. When i go to rs linx it pops up as an unknown device. How do i get it to communicate and identify the device. I have used a standard ethernet cable, an crossover cable, And a usb. None of them will work. Please help.

You need to download the devices EDS file and import it into RSLinx. Once that is done you should see your HMI identified. This assumes you have a network switch between your laptop and your HMI.

I'm not sure if this is true with the PanelView's but most Rockwell stuff comes with a v1.00 firmware installed when purchased. You might have to install a >1 firmware on the device.

This is not the case since Panelviews are backwards compatible.

Are you looking in RSLinx classic or Enterprise? I never did worry about the classic not showing the panel view as long as the Enterprise connected. You should be able to ping the panel view and if that works it should connect and allow you to download a project to it.

As Ron says, RSLinx Classic doesn't really matter.

RSLinx Enterprise is now called FactoryTalk Linx in newer versions. That is what matters. Is it showing up there?

As for RSLinx Classic, if you really want to see the PVP7, update the EDS file or upgrade to a current version of RSLinx and that will resolve the issue. I haven't tried this on the PVP7, but on many devices you can right-click on them and upload the EDS file directly from the device.

OG

Are you connecting directly to the panelview or is it on a machine?

What I've seen with Panelviews is if you set the IP address but that screen is not connected to a lan with another device (sharing the first 3 oct, not including your computer), then it will default to 0.0.0.0 every time you restart it.

I always set the PLC addy first and restart the screen & plc. This has always gotten the screen to load the IP I have set in the configuration - which then allows me to download from the PC

OP said the main screen is showing the right IP and it is appearing in RSLinx. It is just showing as unrecognized.

i reset the panel and when it comes on it is now showing the correct ip on the main screen. When i go to rs linx it pops up as an unknown device

OG