RS Keys / RSlogix 5 / Windows 7

Adriel

I have question about Windows 7 and RS Key Move.

I have client to use RS Logix 5 and wants to use Move Keys on Windows 7. I know windows 10 does break keys

Does Windows 7 move RSLogix 5.5 keys without corruption?

Thank you.

I don't recall if you can move it from a PC to a usb (or floppy) - But I seem to recall that if you try to move it from a usb to a PC, it will move it off your usb, but fail to install it on the PC - activation is lost and you will need AB help to restore.

Your customer really need to migrate their activation's to the newer Factorytalk activation system. All it takes is a call to Rockwell tech connect and they will migrate for them. The RS Move system is obsolete and has been for some time.

The keys can be moved to windows 7. Use the EVMOVECF utility and run it as administrator, otherwise the licenses will be lost. The licenses can be moved via USB sticks.

Your customer really need to migrate their activation's to the newer Factorytalk activation system. All it takes is a call to Rockwell tech connect and they will migrate for them. The RS Move system is obsolete and has been for some time.

Thank you since you work for them can you tell me if they will do that for customer that is no longer buying support?

If their support contract is expired I do not think Rockwell will do it and they are not going to upgrade to new versions since they no longer use Allen Bradley on new systems. So my question was simply what will work. Thank you, we can contact Them and see if they will do it but for now if they can use Windows 7 then they can shut down their Windows XP computer.

The keys can be moved to windows 7. Use the EVMOVECF utility and run it as administrator, otherwise the licenses will be lost. The licenses can be moved via USB sticks.

Mike, Thank you for verifying this solution - SO they can transfer keys back and forth to USB with EVMOVECF which is what they have been doing with Windows XP

I have found Rockwell Tech Support will assist with licenses without support in place. This is the only thing they will assist without a support contract.

However, I have never used them for a really old application either. But, what the heck, they might help anyway.

I have found Rockwell Tech Support will assist with licenses without support in place. This is the only thing they will assist without a support contract.

This is correct, activation (licensing) has nothing to do with tech support.

You have paid originally for the license to use the software, and that is a "forever" deal. Support is by annual contract, and of course that is optional.

If you do migrate to FactoryTalk activation, think carefully about where the activation needs to be, there are several options....

1. A "local" activation, where the encoded license file (*****.lic) is bound to the network interface of the PC.

2. A "local" activation, where the encoded license file (*****.lic) is bound to the Hard Drive serial number of the PC.

3. A "remote" activation, where another PC (the Activation Server) hosts the activation, and you "borrow" it.

4. A "roaming" activation, which is bound to a transportable "dongle" that can be used to activate products installed on many machines. You need to purchase the dongle from your A-B distributor.

I use the roaming dongle method so that I can work at home on my desktop PC, and take the dongle with me when I work away from home to use on my laptops.