Studio 5000 V35 coming soon

Quote: Last step in this chain of events will be PLC as a Service where you never really own it and instead rent it from Rockwell.
Ah... Just another way to extract the last few ml of blood off the customer, wonder how long they will take to go this route.

not that long. new development environment will be 100% online, all programs stored online until compiled into an unreadable enduser program that can be put into the PLC, but not taken back out. continue paying for the service if you want to keep having access to the development environment where your programs are editable.

that is, until the I(d)IOT things get worse and PLC become like the new rental computer scheme.... if the PLC can't receive a signal to restart it's internal serial# time-bomb, then it will shut itself down at 2am on a tuesday and never come back up until the subscription is paid and it's connected to the internet for re-enabling.

not that long. new development environment will be 100% online, all programs stored online until compiled into an unreadable enduser program that can be put into the PLC, but not taken back out. continue paying for the service if you want to keep having access to the development environment where your programs are editable.

that is, until the I(d)IOT things get worse and PLC become like the new rental computer scheme.... if the PLC can't receive a signal to restart it's internal serial# time-bomb, then it will shut itself down at 2am on a tuesday and never come back up until the subscription is paid and it's connected to the internet for re-enabling.

I do hope Rockwell leads the way with this!!! I'll throw a party whilst watching their demise.

It won't be the big players that start this. They will want to sell hardware for as long as they can. If small players do this and make headway, then the big players would jump in. They would have no choice. It's no different than software subscriptions. That started small outside the industry and grew and grew until it inevitably came to the automation field.

OG

So Rockwell Automation takes full responsibility for bricking my CompactLogix when the processor becomes corrupted after v34... Got it!

I think this is a typo; if not it is a mistake
Two-Argument Arctangent (ATAN2). The ATAN2 instruction takes the two-argument arc tangent of the Source values and stores the result in the Destination (in radians). The ATAN2 operator/function computes the arc tangent of the Source and returns the FLOAT result. The resulting value in the Destination is greater than or equal to -p and less than or equal to p (where p = 3.141593).​

v35.00.01 has been out for a while and we all got that notice about putting a rung into online edit, going offline, then deleting the rung causing that routine to stop execution next time you go online and download. I kind of expected a v35.00.02 to come out shortly after, but it isn't here yet.

Anyone in this thread have the inside scoop on that progress toward fixing that issue and/or a new minor revision of v35?

Yikes, I remember that announcement about the bug. That's why I would try to wait a year or more when new major rev are released.