Control valves

MayadaAhmed

Hello,
I want to ask about types of control valves that don't need air compressor as actuator, is there is a selonoid valve that can be actuated electrically to be used on a 6 inches pipe, process liquid is water.
Thank you ❤️

There are such things as electrically operated control valves, but I can't speak to their quality or ability to control a process accurately. Solenoid valves are typically either all the way on or all the way off.

There are electric actuators (motorized). I would ask the valve manufacturer to recommend one suited to your valve.

They are available as electric only, just make sure you look at their duty cycle and open/close times. In my experience, they are very slow compared to solenoid valves.

6" is really too large for practical solenoid valve use. I suggest a butterfly valve. There are electric actuators for open/close and modulating service and in that size they are available in single and three-phase. In the US AWWA valves are commonly specified for water service. 90° travel times can range from 15 seconds to several minutes.

I suggest you find a local valve distributor and purchase the actuator pre-mounted through them.

There are such things as electrically operated control valves, but I can't speak to their quality or ability to control a process accurately. Solenoid valves are typically either all the way on or all the way off.

Sorry, I may have misunderstood. I thought you were asking about modulating valves, not on/off valves. I've seen both butterfly and gate valves used on 6" lines with electric actuators many times.

There are many pilot operated solenoid valves for pipes that size and much larger, I have used several. They are available in many configurations, pressure reducing, pressure sustaining, pressure relief, manual throttle, external pilot source, etc. The pilot flow can be controlled to adjust speed of valve opening or closing. If you ask me, these are more reliable than electrically actuated butterfly valves.

Your best bet would be through an irrigation supplier.

https://www.netafimusa.com/agriculture/products/product-offering/valves/
https://www.bermad.com/products/irrigation/irrigation2/control-valves-2/
https://www.dorot.com/products-solutions/hydraulic-control-valves

Last edited:
Siemens make several 24VAC all-electric actuators that accept a 0-10V signal for analog control. They are slow and I've always found the documentation to be atrocious, but they do the job.

Belimo make all sorts of electric actuators, depending on the application one of them may be suitable.

I'm sure others also make them. Google 6" motorised control valve and see what you can find.