Ballscrew Torque/Force

infer

Hi guys.

I have a piece of kit that we can call a press. It's a piece of metal block moving up and down.

The setup is:
MPL-B420P
Kinetix6000
gearbox 4:1 + ballscrew 10mm lead/40mm Diameter

What I need to know is what force that is applied to a product when the block is in it's bottom position.

Atm all I'm reading is a torquefeedback. As I understand let's say 50% readeout equals to 50% of 4.74Nm (ref toruqe) on the shaft. Because I have the ballscrew I'm using equation.

F = T x 2 x Pi x gearbox ratio/ lead x eef

so 50% of torque [2.37Nm]

therfore:
F = (2.37*6.28*4) / (0.01 * 0.9) = 6320N

Does it sound about right, looks a lot to me ?

Cheers

Yah that formula is based on conservation of energy, so, assuming the units are self-consistent, it should be correct.

Numerator: 2.37 * 6.28 * 4 = (2.37 * 4) * 6.38 ~ 10 * 6.28 ~ 63

Denominator: 0.01 * 0.9 ~ 0.01 = 1/100.

63 / (1/100) = 63 * 100 = 6300, so anything near 6k (6,000) sounds reasonable.

Equation don't look right.

If effiencys is decreased also torque should decrease.

Thinking that equation should be

F(Nm) = Gearbox * T(Nm)*2*3,14* eff /lead

F = 4* 2,37*2*3,14 * 0,9 / 0.01m = 5358 Nm

Last edited:
Whether the efficiency exponent is +1 or-1 with respect to either torque or force depends which is driving the motion.

E.g. a ball screw raising an elevator/lift car would have efficiency multiplying torque or divided into linear force (weight plus any acceleration).

That same ball screw lowering the same car would have efficiency divided into torque or multiplying linear force ) weight etc.).

Whether the efficiency exponent is +1 or-1 with respect to either torque or force depends which is driving the motion.

E.g. a ball screw raising an elevator/lift car would have efficiency multiplying torque or divided into linear force (weight plus any acceleration).

That same ball screw lowering the same car would have efficiency divided into torque or multiplying linear force ) weight etc.).

That is true.

But according OP this is press. If screw itself don't have much weight we can assume that it don't make much difference to effiency. (+ Kg (Or 10*N) to force on pressing down).

Effiency of gearbox isn't taked account either on equation.

If gearbox effiency is 0.9 then

F = 0,9*4 * 2,37*2*3,14 * 0,9 / 0.01m = 4822 N

Or googling gives a lot of different calculators for checking own calculation.

For force (Horizontal, but for up/down if no weight.)

https://www.lintechmotion.com/sizing1.cfm
https://www.lintechmotion.com/sizing/Thrust-Force/thrust-inputs.php

It gives before gearbox 1340 N
-> *4*0.90 = 4822 N

That is true.

But according OP this is press.

Good point.

With the elevator, only as an example of where efficiency should be in the formula, I was assuming the ball screw is always supporting the weight of the car i.e. the ball screw force on the car is always upwards, and the car is never pulled down by the ball screw (or pushed down, as I suppose the motor could be above the car).

On the press, the ball screw would, I assume, do both i.e. exert force in both directions: exert downward force when the block is pressing onto the product; exert upward force when lifting the block away from the product.

gearbox efficiencies can be missleading. They are usulally quoted as a pecentage at full capacity in power. In reality, there is a staic friction and a dynamic component.

Do you also need to considder the inertia of the press acting on whatever it comes into contect with? Depending on the mass and velovity this could be significant.

Nick