What software or system do you hate using the most?

I hate software that do what i tell it to do and not what i want it to do - so basically i hate all software i work with.

spits-coffee-laughing.gif

Connected components workbench is the worst HMI software I've ever worked with. It's like the whole environment was created to slow you down and make you make as many mistakes as possible. One thing I particularly hate is that numeric displays dont show you a preview of what it's going to look like. Also, it's not a true WYSIWYG environment. Text that shows up just fine in development is truncated and cut off in runtime.

It would be better if people would state what they don't like about the software or system they don't like. I doubt that people that write the software don't actually get a chance to use it much in the field.

It is hard to make good software. It takes a lot of thought. I know that if I had to make PLC programming software, it would be a little different in look and feel from most PLC software. One thing I like is the ability to add rungs using text like in RS500 and RS5000. If I were designing PLC programming software, I would make it mandatory that it can be done with a keyboard only.

A big problem I see is that that needs for the programmer that is doing a lot of programming is much different than that of the maintenance guy. The software needs to be "dumbed down" for the maintenance guy so a mouse interface is required too. Programmers would rather just keep their hands on the keyboard. Programmers would learn the tricks whereas maintenance people probably would not.

Ispsoftware for the delta plc, the software is regulary updated but using it is like being thrown back 20 years ;(

I hate lots of old software too but they are old and not updated anymore so i can accept that they suck.

Chalk me up as someone who dislikes CCW as well. I avoid the Micro 800 series like the plague.

My least favorite software depends on the project. It isn't a specific software, but rather when several different systems have to be used.

For example, we had a job recently with AB PLC, Schneider HMIs, and Lenze VFDs. The VFDs weren't so bad, but having to juggle different software packages on one job is a real pain. Usually, I dislike the HMI software the most.

If I were designing PLC programming software, I would make it mandatory that it can be done with a keyboard only.
Yes. My personal benchmark goes like this: how hard or easy it is to use the software trying to make last-minute code corrections on a running machine in a hot and dusty shop while standing up and balancing your laptop on a palm of one hand as there are no places to sit down and no surfaces to place the laptop on.

If this can be done relatively easy, it is a good software. Not that anyone is ever supposed to work like this... but it happens.

Connected components workbench is the worst HMI software I've ever worked with. It's like the whole environment was created to slow you down and make you make as many mistakes as possible. One thing I particularly hate is that numeric displays dont show you a preview of what it's going to look like. Also, it's not a true WYSIWYG environment. Text that shows up just fine in development is truncated and cut off in runtime.

I agree. About 2 years ago my company spec'd a job with CCW for the HMI. I soon discovered the free version or whatever had a tag limit. That took a lot of time to get in essential alarms and numerical displays that were needed and eliminate others that were needed but not so much. The next machine we built they ordered Panelview and so plenty of room for tags. I'm glad I don't have to work with CCW any more.

We have these little vacum pumps here with these Unitronics Jazz PLC+HMI all in one hunk o junk.

Cant stand them.

However, they do have a feature I like called Drum Sequencer. Simple little chart style step output function.

Other than that there isn't much I don't like working with. I see some folks have an awful hate on for the CCW and Micro stuff. I happen to like them so long as its at least an 850 and always use developer edition. Should also mention that I will not use CCW for HMI. I use something like EasyBuilder or similar. The CCW HMI builder makes me gag a little. Easy Builder is free software that can nearly match the bug guys in functionality and appearance.

Last edited:
Rockwell's CCW is among the worst softwares I've ever used. It is supposed to be an upgrade to DriveExecutive, yet it is worse in many ways.
And the crashes, oh lord it crashes so often for no reason.
I am pretty sure that I'll see far worse softwares, but CCW remains #1 for now.

Motion Perfect, the software to program the Trio Motion controllers.
Just an example of the inconveniences you experience by using this software:
you can have only one timer per program (a program is like a AB subroutine).

In addition to CCW (if you use a Micro800 for anything but the most simple tasks that will never need to be modified or troubleshooted you are making a mistake) I need to mention BOOTP. It should not be as hit or miss as it is currently. Sometimes it works, sometimes is doesn't, sometimes I'm happy, sometimes I throw my laptop out a window.

Oh, and any Rockwell software I am currently using. Mostly because I keep thinking "why can't you do this? Every competitor can do this."

I'll echo CCW - it is clunky to the point of being unusable. I can't believe that a company with the resources of Rockwell decided to go down that route instead of developing a true successor to the Micrologix series which were pretty good.

EcoStruxure Control Expert (Unity Pro) from Schneider is pretty bad given its cost. I had to do a machine for a customer using it and was required to use the ladder editor which I believe is designed to match the look and feel of their programming software from 40 years ago. The lack of proper auto-complete when typing variable names makes programming so tedious, and I had one version which would have about a 20% chance of crashing whenever I added a comment.