Safety controller 120vac?

Stationmaster

I need to manage about 20 estop stations and would like to use a safety controller to do so. After searching here, I saw several references to Banner's SC22-3e Safety Controller. I like this controller very much, but i would LOVE to find one like it that will accept 120vac inputs. Anyone know of such an animal?

Stationmaster

Most Safety controllers inputs monitor the E/stops with their own power source - (Cat 4 Safety level or SIL 3) - these would not be 120Vac - And would require to be directly wired to the controller. If you need the exact function - I can tell you.
All Inputs are usually Dual contact and Are soley connected to the controller - Not through the existing machine wiring.
If you are retrofitting it may be better (more expensive) to use a safety Bus system.
These are not wired at 120 Vac or 240Vac (Australia)
The Output is the safe area - Don't forget the valve protection or 3 phase control protection also.
these may need to be fed back to the safety relay.
Outputs - Higher voltages are usually controlled by Positivley guided relays or contactors - these are also monitored by the controller.

We use 240V ac - No problems.

Last edited:
Thanks iant, I've decided to go with the Banner, we will just run 24v+ to all estops.

Lancie: yes, metaphorical alligators at work, actual bears at the country place. I guess videos of bears aren't such a big deal from the woods of Tennessee... but here in FL they're a rare sight. lol

The mosquitoes are really bad now too. Our rainy season has finally begun in earnest, and this hot, humid weather is REALLY bringing them out. At least the BEARS try to avoid humans.

Hope you and the Missus are doing okay.

Talk soon,

Steve

Just hope you do not need to use light curtain muting with this controller, it can be done, just the gotcha is that after an e-stop or power up, if the mute input is still high, you have to brake, then make the mute device to get it to actually mute the light curtain.

This was an issue with a stand still monitor we used to mute the light curtain, so of course it would still be made after an e-stop or power up. We had to go through some additional gyrations to create a sequence that would allow the system to be reset properly.

Darren

Also, if these are dual channel e-stops that will not be enough inputs. Also do not forget that you need to monitor your external contacts and they will take up one input per safety output that you use.

Darren

I guess videos of bears aren't such a big deal from the woods of Tennessee... but here in FL they're a rare sight. lol
Steve, There aren't any known bears around middle Tennessee right now. My father told me that the last ones disappeared in the 1930's during the last Great Depression. Hungry people = bears be gone. They may come back now that we are pretty well-fed. The turkey, deer, wild hogs, coyotes, and bobcats have all come back, so bears may be next. On the other hand, we may not be so well-fed the next 10 years or so....

There are a lot of black bears in East Tennessee in the Smoky Mountains.

Last edited: