Studio 5000 licensing help?

Narko

Hi All,

Can someone recommend the cost effective way to upgrade our existing software from v29 to v32?

Here's our current software details,
Studio 5000 Mini Edition MED Software Studio
Studio 5000 Multi-Language Pak MED S/W

License Type: CONCURRENT

Any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance

I don't know about the mini edition, but other editions all you have to do is download and install v32. The same license will let you open both versions, and the correct version will open (close the wrong version and open)

Also, Rockwell was supposed to release v33 in August, but daily checks to download it don't show it yet, with a current TechConnect contract.

Hi thanks for the response.
I have tried it but the highest version I could select is v29.

But we need v32 to work on a Guardlogix 5580.
Does it give us the option if we pay for the subscription based new license for the year?

Yes. Contact your AB distributor and get a quote on a Tech Connect contract.

There are different levels of support and different products supported on the contract depending on what you register (Studio5000. RSLogix500, FactoryTalk View, RSLinx, etc.) (Don't think about adding RSLogix 5 if you have it - that 'legacy" support will cost more than all the other combined)

Yes. Contact your AB distributor and get a quote on a Tech Connect contract.

There are different levels of support and different products supported on the contract depending on what you register (Studio5000. RSLogix500, FactoryTalk View, RSLinx, etc.) (Don't think about adding RSLogix 5 if you have it - that 'legacy" support will cost more than all the other combined)

Hi thanks again,
He's sent me a link to browse the various options available at the commerce site and it's got pricing information but the sales rep is quoting me for a studio 5000 standard with a multi language pack and wants my perpetual license to apply a rebate but I disagree with this idea as the pricing is around 5000 NZD/AUD approx for the standard and another 4000 NZD/AUD approx foe the language pack.

I am thinking to get a new license with the same version I got and an annual subscription for 3000 NZD/AUD ?

will this work if I just get the same pack I have with a year's subscription. As this will then allow me to have software upgrade if the v33 comes out too?

Let me know if this makes sense.

For the price difference the subscription makes sense. That will allow downloads of future versions.

The only thing that might be different is the tech support you may have available to you (if that is an issue, but the members on this forum sometimes know more and can give better help)

For the price difference the subscription makes sense. That will allow downloads of future versions.

The only thing that might be different is the tech support you may have available to you (if that is an issue, but the members on this forum sometimes know more and can give better help)

https://commerce.rockwellautomation.com/rockwell/en/AUD/p/9324C-RLD/bundleBrand

Can you send me a cart image of what you think we might need to program a Guardlogix 5580 with Safety Partner (L81ES)

Its so confusing to select a software.

Also do we also need the Guardlogix Safety ED add-on?

Unfortunately, your set of licenses is for CompactLogix controllers only, and lacks GuardLogix support. And since you don't have a support contract, you can't download new revisions.

This is normal. RA gives you the ability to buy cheaper licenses for the smaller controllers, and spreads out the development and support costs over time by linking upgrades to support contracts.

Your options are to upgrade to Standard Edition then buy the options you need (GuardLogix support and any of the non-Ladder editors) or upgrade to Professional Edition, which includes everything.

Buying an upgrade, especially an alacarte upgrade with only a few options, is going to require directly communicating with your Rockwell Automation distributor. I don't think there is a grid of part numbers that you can pick from that will cover every variation, even from whatever e-commerce system they're using.

Perpetual licensing versus annual subscription depends on what your long-term needs are.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the response.
I have tried it but the highest version I could select is v29.

But we need v32 to work on a Guardlogix 5580.
Does it give us the option if we pay for the subscription based new license for the year?

As others have said, I'm not sure what the mini edition is. However, as a potential example, I have Studio5000 standard edition (Legacy permanent license) and I had the same issue as you did. I could only select up to V29 and needed to download V32 a couple weeks ago.

However, also as others have said, if you have one of the legacy permanent licenses for a standard version of Studio5000 you should be allowed access to V30+ versions. It may require a TechConnect contract, though.

When I encountered this problem, I called Rockwell TechConnect and, after they reviewed my license and product key all they did was update something on my Rockwell profile, and then V32 magically appeared. It was able to then download and install it.
Hopefully this helps

Last edited: