plc for prover meter

Prover meters that I am familiar with are used in the petroleum custody transfer field. They are usually a large horizontal cylinder with a piston. The fluid is forced into the cylinder. The movement of the piston trips limit switches at either end. The volume in between the limit switches is a known volume. The temperature of the fluid is monitored. Based upon temperature and volume, a mass quantity is calculated. The same volume flows through the meter under test. The meter under test is usually a turbine meter or propeller meter with a pulse output. The meter is calibrated in pulses per gallon. This number is commonly called a k-factor. Based upon the results of the prover, the k-factor is recalculated to match the prover value. The test is run three times for repeatability.
As for PLCs, I have never seen them used but they could be. You would need a high speed counter input to read the output of the meter under test. Most meters are already connected to some kind of transmitter which provides excitation to the coil around the element and a display of pulses and GPM and standard GPM.