Logix Designer Fatal Error

DDHR

So I installed studio 5000, with logix designer v32. Everything was fine until I decided to enable the Bookmark Toolbar. At first all it did was create the fatal error and close the program. Thing is, i went online and found a "fix" for it: Run studio 5000 as an admin, then select the toolbar, and enjoy. It worked, i selected the Bookmark Toolbar and the program didn't crash. So I was happy, until i closed the program and re-opened it. Now it gives me the fatal error immediately. I've tried running it as an admin but it still does the same. Is there a way to fix it?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum.

First off, we need more details of your system setup.

What OS are you running? and are you using a VM?
What were the fatal errors you received?
What "fix" did you find and apply?

I always perform a computer "Shutdown" then restart and a lot of time the errors/crashes seem to fix themselves.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum.

First off, we need more details of your system setup.

What OS are you running? and are you using a VM?
What were the fatal errors you received?
What "fix" did you find and apply?

I always perform a computer "Shutdown" then restart and a lot of time the errors/crashes seem to fix themselves.

Thank you. Alright I'm on Windows 10 Enterprise, No I Wasn't running any VM. The fatal error I reciebe is:
Fatal Error!

Application Path: ......
Elapsed execution time: 15 seconds

Version: V32.00.00 (release)

OS Version: Windows 8 64-bit
Thread Id: 00002988 (10632)

Error 0xc0000005 (-1073741819)

EXCEPTIOM_ACESS_VIOLATION - An "acces violation" exception was generated.

Press OK to terminate this application

The fix i found was in order to be able to enable the bookmark toolbar. Before this, i was able to run the program just fine. However, when i went to view/toolbox/ checked the bookmark toolbar box the program crashed with the same error, but i could alway restart it. Thing is, when i went online i found a guy that said he would open studio 5000 as admin and it worked for him. That's what i did, i ran the program as an admin. When to view/toolbox, checked the box to enable the bookmark toolbar and studio didn't crash. I was actually able to use the toolbar to bookmark the rung i was in. I then closed studio 5000 and reopened it and that's when it started giving me this error. I tried opening studio 5000 as an admin with no luck. I tried running the compatibility troubleshoot, I even uninstalled and re-installed it. But now whenever i open Studio 5000 it gives me the same error.

First thing I would try is resetting your Studio 5000 (LogixDesigner.exe) to its default configuration.

Hold down CTRL and SHIFT the open LogixDesigner.exe

Ok, perform a computer "shutdown" and restart then navigate to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\Studio 5000\Logix Designer\ENU\VXX\Bin\LogixDesigner.exe
(where \VXX\ will be your version of software)

Select LogixDesigner.exe > Properties > Compatibility
Compatibility mode checkmark and select "Windows 7"
and checkmark run this program as an Administrator.

If that does not work there are a whole host of issues and fixes stated from the Rockwell Automation Knowledge base with most you will need "TechConnnect Access" to view.

Also the latest Studio 5000 is version 32.02.00 , so you might consider updating your v32.00.00 to the latest.

Tried it, and nothing changed.
I tried Rockwell Automation Knowledge but as you stated i need a "TechConnect Access". What baffles me is that it used to work perfectly fine until I got the Bookmarks toolbar involved. I'll keep trying, eventually something should work, right?
As for upgrading the version I'm not sure how viable that is, the company I work for doesn't seem to have the latest version and I am unsure if the licences for V32.00.00 will work on V32.02.00.

Thank you for your help, i really appreciate it. If i somehow manage to solve this issue I'll make sure to come back and share it in case someone else finds themselves in my situation.

BTW, do you think if I perform a system recovery it will help at all? I have a back up dated Oct 30, but I am not sure if doing so would help at all or just be wasted time.

***UPDATE***
Somehow I manged to make it even worse and ruined my computer's OS. So after losing all my files, at least whatever i hadn't backed up, I got my computer back and had to re-install everything, as well as try to recover as many files as I could from my companys server. But hey, at least now logix has once again started to work properly. Moral of the story, if it works do not try to 'fix' it. As to how to fix this error without having to go that far, I still don't know.

Glad you are back running again. But I would say the real moral of the story is to use virtual machines so whatever vendor software has issues, it doesn't cause O/S problems.

My suggestion would have been to do a Repair of Studio 5000. Hopefully it won't become an issue again.

OG

Tried it, and nothing changed.
I tried Rockwell Automation Knowledge but as you stated i need a "TechConnect Access". What baffles me is that it used to work perfectly fine until I got the Bookmarks toolbar involved. I'll keep trying, eventually something should work, right?
As for upgrading the version I'm not sure how viable that is, the company I work for doesn't seem to have the latest version and I am unsure if the licences for V32.00.00 will work on V32.02.00.

Thank you for your help, i really appreciate it. If i somehow manage to solve this issue I'll make sure to come back and share it in case someone else finds themselves in my situation.

I found a way to solve all this issue...
i just went to the location of my project, click and hold Crtl and shift, and keep holding the buttons until the software was completely open. After that, i released the buttons and could use the file again.

Doing this, you reset the whole settings, including the Bookmarks that we added.

Thanks to everybody for the support.:rolleyes:

***UPDATE***
Somehow I manged to make it even worse and ruined my computer's OS. So after losing all my files, at least whatever i hadn't backed up, I got my computer back and had to re-install everything, as well as try to recover as many files as I could from my companys server. But hey, at least now logix has once again started to work properly. Moral of the story, if it works do not try to 'fix' it. As to how to fix this error without having to go that far, I still don't know.

OUTCH man, If you were in my plant, Id buy ya beer after bone'n it that hard. 🍻 Lol we have all been there. Make backups, restore points, and VMs.