You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old January 11th, 2017, 09:08 AM   #1
Justinlane03
Canada

.PBA to MER Conversion Failure

Hey all,

So I'm trying to import and old Panelbuilder32 application into FactoryTalk view Studio. I've had success doing this in the past, although not a perfect conversion. When I choose my .PBA file, FTV Studio starts to go through the import process, then just comes up "Unable to open file". On other machines, we are getting a "Server threw an exception'. On the phone with the rockwell guys, they figure an external font was causing the failure, but they are disabled.

The PV application is PV1000 Gray, through RIO Protocol. I am using Panelbuilder 3.83.01, and the FTV Studio software is 8.20. Sorry for leaving out information, just wondering if anyone had any ideas I could try?
Old January 11th, 2017, 09:43 AM   #2
James Mcquade
United States

Welcome to the forum.

my first thought is to ask what version of panelbuilder was the file created on?
older pba files may need to be upgraded to 3.83.01 and saved then converted.
the very old versions have to be upgraded to ver 2.64 ( I think or another version) and then upgraded to 3.83.01. I had to do this a couple of times.

james
Old January 11th, 2017, 03:10 PM   #3
arlenjacobs
Lifetime Supporting Member
Canada

same here, my first thought was to save the PBA into version 3.8

First off, create a safe backup of your existing PBA file.
Next to try in PanelBuilder and then resave the PBA. Retry the import after each one:
(1) Export the tags to an Excel file, then delete the entire tag database.
(2) Change the terminal to a PV1000 colour with Ethernet. You'll need to fix up the RIO stuff.
(3) Delete half of the screens. If that doesn't work, try again with the other half deleted.

That should help narrow down where/why you get the error during import. Once you figure that out then you can go back and find a way to import the rest of the project info.
Old January 12th, 2017, 05:22 PM   #4
Justinlane03
Canada

Thanks for the responses guys. I tried deleting the tags, to no avail. Then I deleted half the screens, and the process seemed to get further. Last I deleted everything, and that was the only was to get the file to convert. (Although that doesn't help because we get nothing >.<)

So it seems like its either a combination of tags and screens faulting the conversion. Just doing like arlenjacobs suggested and trying to narrow down what is the problem.
Old January 12th, 2017, 05:37 PM   #5
dmroeder
United States

When the import ultimately fails, does it suggest that a log file was created?

I helped a user find and error on importing and the log file vaguely suggested where the problem was. I don't remember what the log file name was or where it created it though.

edit: If you want, I could try to import it for you like I did for the other user. PM me your email address if you want.
Old January 12th, 2017, 06:40 PM   #6
JaxGTO
United States

I had the same message when I converted an application. I called tech support also and they told me to first import it on a 32 bit machine (I have a Windows 7 32 bit with FTView 8.0) and it worked. Then I wrote an apa and restored it to the 64 bit machine and all was well.
Old January 13th, 2017, 11:48 AM   #7
arlenjacobs
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmroeder View Post
When the import ultimately fails, does it suggest that a log file was created?

I helped a user find and error on importing and the log file vaguely suggested where the problem was. I don't remember what the log file name was or where it created it though.

edit: If you want, I could try to import it for you like I did for the other user. PM me your email address if you want.
I think the log file is in the project folder:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\projectname
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum