Torque capping/control with AB/Rockwell

AndreaHirys

Hello everyone,

i work in a company that makes vial filling machines, and i have always used Omron/Sanyo hardware for everything that concerns servos and PLCs.
I am now doing tests on a machine that uses Rockwell PLC and drives (Kinetix 5700).

I am trying to achieve some good/consistent results on a motor that tightens the cap on a vial. What would be the best way to do this? I was able to do this with the other hardware, using a motion controller and adjusting the maximum torque.
I am experimenting with Velocity loop with SLAT, but maybe Torque loop is better?

What i need to do is basically:
- be able to cap with a certain force, set with a parameter
- maybe be able to check if capping happened with set force, or if i didn't reach that threshold

Does anyone have any tip? I'm a bit at a loss at the moment, since i'm not an expert when it comes to Rockwell.

You are able to set the torque limit of the servo axis with an SSV instruction. There is also a "axis.TorqueLimited" bit that turns on when the torque limit has been reached (i.e. when cap is tightened).

Yes, i ended up with a simple Velocity Loop control, and editing the positive/negative TorqueLimite properties of the axis object. I'm also using that bit to check wether that torque value has been reached or not.
For the moment it seems to be working well, i'll do some extensive testing before i rejoice, though.
Thanks anyway!