Max Number of nodes, Compactlogix 1769 L32E

toddp65

While trying to download produced and consumed tags with a new controller on the same network I get this error:

The maximum number of nodes on the local Ethernet port has been exceeded. Reduce the number of Ethernet nodes to 16 or fewer.

I guess it's self explanatory but is there anything I can do? The tree is connected with two other external controllers and internet/IP VFDs.

Thanks

Thanks Mike.

I downloaded the previous programs back into the controllers (One of them, an L18, doesn't have the issue). Would explicit messaging work--IOW, do you have to add controllers to the tree in order to perform them or do they just have to be on the network?

local erhernet devices is limited to 16 for L32E IO tree.
For L18 IO tree you can add to up to 8 ethernet devices.

Last edited:
I thought before you added another new controller to L32E IO tree for making produced and consumed tags,L32E local ethernet devices is about 16, after you tried to add another new controller, PLC showed that is over the limit.

It's actually a L30ER.

One controller is an L18, it accepted the modified program with the L30ER with no problem.

It's the L30 that wouldn't take it and came up with the error.
It acted as if it was going to take the download; 1/4 of the way thru the process it took the processor out of run mode and then I was able to search the controller for the error. It didn't show the error when it verified before downloading. Odd.

From what I've read i wouldn't have to add the controller to the tree.

I haven't done explicit messages before, just P&C tags to controllers.
Seems like the hardest part is addressing your controllers to send messages to (pathway).

looks like the problem is with L30ER.
How many EtherNet devices (nodes) has on L30ER IO tree?
For L30ER there is a limit to 18 nodes.

The devices that are added to the I/O configuration section in EtherNet in your RSLogix 5000 software project IO tree and must be counted against this limit:

-Distributed I/O adapters
-I/O modules directly connected to the Ethernet/IP network, for example the
1732E-IB16M12R ArmorBlock Ethernet/IP module
-Motion devices, such as drives
-Specialty Ethernet modules
-Remote controllers directly connected to the Ethernet network such as a
1769-L36ERM
-HMI devices that are included in the I/O configuration section, for example,
PanelView Plus terminals (there is no benefit to having a PanelView Plus in
the I/O tree and therefore it is not recommended nor required)
-Linking devices, such as the 1788-EN2DN, Ethernet-to-DeviceNet linking device
-Third-party devices (entered in as a Generic Ethernet Module)