question about Allen Bradley

ronpittc

I've been studying allen bradley system for work, i know how the program and the plc works but im not really not familiar with the commands and terms they have. Im wondering what are the use of these following commands

1. Binary
2. Integer
3. Float
4. Status

They told me that they are like numbers and programs in the computer like datas.....i wondering why sometimes they are use in making programs like when they enter commands like B4:24, i dont understand why they use it, i know the Input and Outputs but why these? but my question is what do they do? how do you use them? what are they use for in making a program? bare with me im a beginner.

Basically

They are not commands. In Allen Bradley binary and integer are 16 bit memory storage registers. Not much difference except for the term or letter used to define their memory locations.

Float is a 32 bit memory location that will support floating point numbers(1.001 as opposed to a whole number 1).

Status is typically processor operating parameters that it uses to run the program as well as to display the processor's status about it's operations. This file can be a very handy troubleshooting aid in case of a processor fault.

I'm sure others can elaborate more.

Binary, as stated, is a "type" of file that uses 16 bit memory locations...your example, B4:24 is not correct. Default binary files start with 3...ie B3:0 meaning binary file 3 word 0, this further breaks down into bits example B3:0/0, B3:0/1 etc.

An example of how this may be used is to think of these "binary bits" as internal (to the plc) I/O. You may use an input or output to set a binary bit to use thru the program. This thread shows how a flip flop circuit is created, it uses Binary bits.http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?s=&threadid=987&highlight=flip+flop

Integer files are just what they imply...whole numbers. Imagine an application where you were adding a substance, lets say sugar, with other ingredients to make cookies. You would want to KNOW how much sugar was added to the batch. Using devices its possible to KNOW and control the exact measurement (using numbers).

Float also pertains to numbers, it allows you to work with floating point numbers like 3.14628

Status as stated pertains to the status files

status.jpg

The Allen Bradley website has a section called "Online Manuals" which will provide a lot of the information you are looking for.

Here are some examples:

SLC 500 Instruction Set Reference Manual (1747-RM001C-EN-P)

PLC-5 Family 1785 Instruction Set Reference Manual (1785-6.1)

Quick Reference Manual (1785-7.1)

You will also find a section describing the data structures you asked about.

Allen Bradley Manuals On Line

Taking into account all the above, Allen-Bradley has a set number of file types that are pre-assigned. See the attached chart, this is a sample of the type of information you will find at "Manuals on Line".
I could attempt to explain files, addressing scheme etc... here but I feel it would only serve to confuse. The manuals can do a much better job than I.
Post your questions if while reading the manuals, you have something that needs clarification.

Roger