Can I save my data from PLC to a file automatically on RSlogix 500?

wormite

Hi all, I am reading temperature from the analog modules, for the first stage of the experiment, I will keep my micrologix 1200 connected with the PC, with the RSlogix 500 running. My question is, does RSlogix 500 have the feature of saving the readings to a file and update it automatically?
Thanks.

When you say file are you refering to the registers in the PLC or a computer file.. eg file.txt ?

if you are talking about a computer file I've never seen anything capable within the plc to do that. After thinking about it I guess you could output on a serial port to a PC with a program running to receive the data and capture it. I've used a pc program similiar to capture serial data from a digital scale. It read the data and exported to an excel file. I think the program I used was Winwedge.

Thank you for the reply, what I meant is a file on the PC, such a s file.txt.I noticed that RSlogix has VB script capability, do you think VB can do it? Of course I don't know much about VB. In my case the Micrologix 1200 is already connected with the PC with the serial cable. I am running RSlogix 500 on the PC to monitor it.

In RSLogix500 you can configure a trend using RSTrendX (built in in Logix500) and plot the values of a number of registers. Under L500 you cannot save the data points (you can under Logix5000) but you can save a snapshot of the trend screen, giving you a graphical plot of your data.

RSLogix was designed primarily as a programming tool. There are other applications which have the capabilitiy of logging data.

If you don't have a lot of data points then there are a few tricks we might be able to help you with but that won't work for a lot of data points, anything beyond a couple of hundred points will be a real PITA. How many data points are needed?

VB is only available if you have RSLogix 500 Pro.

Thank you for the reply Alaric, I am actually reading analog data from a thermal couple. The scanning of this thermal couple is set at 60 HZ, and I have to look at data over the scale of days. That's why I am thinking of using a VB script to pre-process the data and then dump them on a file. The other benefit of writing to a file is to view it remotely over ethernet from other machines. I know AB provided GateWay for this, I am just trying to do it for flexibility.
I tested the VB script and it successfully wrote to a sample.txt on my C: drive, but I am still missing a link here.
When RSlogix500 is running, is there anyway to use the VB script to read from a particular address, say I1:0/1 or an internal variable, say int_1?

Last edited:
RSLinx has DDE capability. Used it for a lark a bundle of years ago, so the recollection is vague. Anyway, I set it up to read some values into Excel cells, but didn't go any farther. I suppose one could program some macros to make it cyclic and load into new cells or append to a file.