Scale weight craziness!

batador,

you did not waste our time.
your post makes us scratch our heads and think.
your answer gives us something to remember.

FYI,
your calibration process is in ERROR in my opinion!!
if you are weighing product for resale this MUST be done by a certified scale person, federal regs.

if not, calibration should be done by authorized personnel and calibration sticker should be placed on the instrument with the persons name. the person should then place test weights on the unit to verify calibration.

a log book should also be kept by your cal lab or representative.

what part of Tennessee?
i'm working in Sumner County, East of Nashville.

regards,
james

Appreciate that iant.

James,

I am in Madison County, east of Memphis. Work in Jackson. I agree our calibration process could use some tweaking. Product is made, dropped into an awaiting container, weighed on that station in pounds, shuttled by AGV's to an inspection station where it is checked by an operator, that station weighs it in kilograms, then the operator prints a label verifying weight in kilos and puts it on the container, thus ready for shipping. Crazy. Currently we calibrate the scale I referenced and the 15 others like it weekly. This is performed by a certified maintenance technician, although we have operators that help, i.e. drive the forklift and insert/remove the test weights. Then the maintenance person performs the calibration itself, manipulating the Hardy and such, then signs a log sheet that is attached to the station. Eighty percent of our product is sold within the company, the other twenty going to outside vendors.
Any suggestions on an easier/federally correct approach is more than welcome. I am all ears as I said. I want to learn which is why I sought out this website and am a member of several programming websites like this.

Eager to learn,

Brandon

Appreciate that iant.

James,

I am in Madison County, east of Memphis. Work in Jackson. I agree our calibration process could use some tweaking. Product is made, dropped into an awaiting container, weighed on that station in pounds, shuttled by AGV's to an inspection station where it is checked by an operator, that station weighs it in kilograms, then the operator prints a label verifying weight in kilos and puts it on the container, thus ready for shipping. Crazy. Currently we calibrate the scale I referenced and the 15 others like it weekly. This is performed by a certified maintenance technician, although we have operators that help, i.e. drive the forklift and insert/remove the test weights. Then the maintenance person performs the calibration itself, manipulating the Hardy and such, then signs a log sheet that is attached to the station. Eighty percent of our product is sold within the company, the other twenty going to outside vendors.
Any suggestions on an easier/federally correct approach is more than welcome. I am all ears as I said. I want to learn which is why I sought out this website and am a member of several programming websites like this.

Eager to learn,

Brandon

Anything sold by weight has to be on a certified scale calibrated by a certified technician. That said it does not have to be the scale used to fill the container it can be one at final inspection and that only applies to material being shipped to customers, not internal.