Log to InSql when new scale weight triggered

gmferg

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I am using Intouch, InSql, and CLogix to log various analog data. I'm currently logging full case weights which are read by PLC from a Hi-Speed scale. It is highly possible to have 2 or 3 or 10 successive case weights be identical. The standard method of logging to InSql records only 1 weight for every successive identical weight. The standard method being: Check mark "log" in tag definition within Intouch. Simply put, InTouch doesn't know when a new case weight has been triggered unless the new weight differs from the previous.

I have a discrete tag within PLC which is "new weight", triggered by scale. How can I use this "new weight" discrete tag to trigger a log of the scale weight to InSql?

I suppose you can log both the weight and the new weight trigger and do some fancy query to show weight data only when the trigger is high. Also, if the time span between units is a a few seconds or more, you can write a script in Intouch and clear the weight between cases and store it in a memory tag and log that tag to InSQL. You can do the same inside the PLC as well I guess. Also, look at logging the weight in cyclic mode, force logging the data every specific time slice. You can use SQLConnect and SQLupdate but you will have to create a table and log the data yourself. InSQL is a historian and it does the logging automatically to their predefined tables based on change of state or on a fixed time period.