[Logix] Profibus backup for CompactLogix --> ControlLogix (if Ethernet/IP fails)

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys,

One of the remote (pump station) PLCs I'm replacing in a water project has an existing Profibus connection and the client wants us to be able to use it as a backup in case the connection via Ethernet/IP gets lost; the Ethernet/IP will be a fiber connection and I think the Profibus backup is overkill, but that's what is spec-ed for the project so I'm stuck, haha.

The remote site is going to be a CompactLogix PLC (we've spec-ed the Prosoft PROFIBUS DPV1 PS69 Slave Network Interface Module) and the local "data concentrator" will be a ControlLogix (using the Prosoft PROFIBUS DP-V1 Master Network Interface Module).

I don't have any experience with setting up Profibus connections, so I'm not sure how to best go about setting it up as a backup connection mode. The data concentrator talks to several other sites (wells, storage tanks) via Ethernet/IP radios and I'm using MSG instructions to pack/unpack BOOL, DINT, and REAL data into a DINT and REAL array for each site (again, client preference as opposed to produced/consumed tags). I was originally just going to use produce/consume tags for the fiber-connected pump station, but now I'm thinking if I have to do this Profibus backup, maybe that'll dictate how I do things overall.

I've read that Profibus is an 8-bit bus so it will use SINTs; how that will affect my sending of BOOL/DINT/REAL data, I'm not yet sure. I've also read that Profibus uses COP/CPS instructions, so I'm not sure if I'd have to set up an entirely different way of transmitting data instead of re-routing the arrays I'm sending/receiving via MSG instructions.

I'm gonna crack open the user manual from Prosoft and do some homework, but I'd love to hear how you guys would tackle this challenge and if you could provide any insight in how Profibus sends and receives data and any experience you have with using Prosoft. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not sure about that 8-bit bus factoid. I think one Profibus slave can have up to 255 bytes of data in and out, maybe the 8-bit bus refers to how many bits can be in the data length?

I haven't used one of the Prosoft cards in a long time, but I've transferred DINTs between devices that speak Profibus natively before. I don't think the protocol itself has a data size limitation, but the Prosoft cards may require you to copy your data into an array of SINTs.

I'm not sure about that 8-bit bus factoid. I think one Profibus slave can have up to 255 bytes of data in and out, maybe the 8-bit bus refers to how many bits can be in the data length?

I haven't used one of the Prosoft cards in a long time, but I've transferred DINTs between devices that speak Profibus natively before. I don't think the protocol itself has a data size limitation, but the Prosoft cards may require you to copy your data into an array of SINTs.

I got that tidbit of info about the SINTs/8 bit from this thread, but I may be taking the info out of context. http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=459567&postcount=3

That being said, glad to hear that you've sent DINTs via Profibus natively, that's a good sign. Will continue reading, thanks!