PMC Ladder programming of FANUC Control

backendcode

Hello Everyone,

I would like to get some advice from seniors!!

Currently, I involve in writing PLC logic and Robot programs (ABB rapid programming) of the production line in an automotive company. I am the part of machine builder team of the same company. Most of the production lines involve some kind of CNC machines and I would say 70% of them are with FANUC control. We do have our guy who writes PMC ladder logic for Fanuc Control and sometimes when everything is running well from PLC and Robot side, CNC got some kind of issue and I can go into PMC ladder logic to see which bit is off or ON, it really helps me to troubleshoot and find the problem.

But my question is, I am interested in learning PMC programming of FANUC control. What do you guys think of it? Is it great skills to have while working as a control engineer who involves in PLC and ABB programming most of the time.
What's the demand in the industry? I am asking because we have a pretty big team but there is only 1 guy who knows how to write PMC ladder logic and he's very smart and always ready to share knowledge but would like to get advice from another senior people and see what they think about it.

Thank you for reading this post! Any kind of advice will be appreciated!

Thank you again,

Regards,

AB + ABB xp? You can get a job anywhere. Learn Fanuc? If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball. It will only benefit you to learn a new brand. Do it. Then you'll find yourself having an opinion on variable naming conventions.

AB + ABB xp? You can get a job anywhere. Learn Fanuc? If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball. It will only benefit you to learn a new brand. Do it. Then you'll find yourself having an opinion on variable naming conventions.

Hey KingPresident,

Thank you for the reply and I was just trying to get a different opinion from people having more experience than me and been in automation industry for a longer time than me.

Thank you for a feedback! Much appreciated :)

Best,

Hi,

Yes if your coworker has Fanuc ladder, I would say definitly learn the CNC and how it operates. OnCE you know the principles of a CNC mill or lathe then you can pretty much mess around with any, whether it be fanuc, siemens, mitsubishi.
75 percent of my time I am programming Fanuc PMC. The other 25 is allen bradley or controls design. Although I work for a machine tool builder. We do many turnkey systems. Most of them involve the PLC and Macros hand in hand, to complete a well organized machining line. I really like the industry. Plus like you said you know of 1 guy so far, instead of 10..
Won't hurt.

Another note for some information may peak you intrest as well, fanuc is really pushing their new automation control in the market for servo and motion applications. So you may be surprised to see more and more integrated servo systems implemented on gantry and other applications other than just CNC applications where a typical AB or other would have been in the past. Lots of cool features with prewritten items.
So yes even if you don't get right into the PMC, learn the interface. The PMC is most like any other software platform anyways.

Hey Bill,
Thank you for great advice and much appreciated your input!

I will be more interested to stick with Fanuc PMC programming because that's more interesting. My background is in CNC programming btw but i never got an opportunity to play around with system programming of CNC. So let's see how it goes, Would you mind to share any tips or online manual/resources? I would be great help.

Currently, I am programming a new production line and we have CNC with Fanuc 35i control and may be i will get some chance to play around with it.

Thank you again,