Career Change Into PLC World

Okie_Ian

Hey Gang,

Considering how quickly I can pack this post with statements and questions, I'm gonna keep it simple and build from there.

I got a mathematics degree in 2012, and took up the life of a trucker as that was what was available with the economy the way it was in '12, thinking that at least I could work my way up. I quickly found out companies much rather keep me as a driver as I can actually do the work, since the money is good, and the work is easy, why not. Fast forward to 2020 and I see the writing on the wall and its time for me to get out of trucking and enter a whole new field. So I have enrolled at the local community college in their electronic engineering technology program, as I am a electronics hobbyist.

First course I am taking is about PLC's and the course is natural to me with my knowledge of micro-controllers (Yes, the two are different, but share the same principles). Looking down the road, I do want to get into the world of industrial automation with an emphasis in chemical processing.

Seeing how both my instructor and college can only help me so much into diving into this community, I thought I'd dive right into the forum where PLCs are the tool of the trade, where I can meet people who know the industry.

So if any of y'all would be willing to help direct me into making my way into your field, I'd be appreciative.

All the Best
Ian

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum!

From my experience, the instructor at your Votech could be a great resource. Show up early, and start a talk with them, hear em out. They often have very good contacts in the field.

Check your area for System Integrators, Industrial Electrical Contractors, Production plants and Electrical Distributors that may be looking to hire interns. I have done work at the ConAgra plant there in Newport TN and they have had interns there. Also check with your school for possible internships during your training.

Community Colleges generally maintain close ties to local industries so their course offerings reflect what's needed locally. They also try to place their students in co-ops or internships. Make contact with the placement office or whatever they call the people tasked with that at your school.
If during your time as trucker you made deliveries to any of the local industries, you already know somebody in the receiving department. That person can tell you the names of the people in charge of the engineering and maintenance departments. Those are the people who will be hiring you. The people in the HR department are the gatekeepers. You can't bypass them, but if your future boss already knows your name you're more likely to land an interview when the time comes.