Mid life career change

I have one question. You say you have done online courses, but have you used any PLC/HMI software?

Your background looks great, especially since database integration is becoming a huge part of automated systems.

I personally feel that automation is probably one of the best areas of manufacturing to be in.

Last edited:
Generally, I reckon there is only 1 thing you need to be the best you can be in any field, and that is commitment. Many people excel in fields in which they have no formal qualification, but they have gotten there by sheer determination.
In my career I have employed many people in the field of automation, with various levels of qualifications. I had one guy with a masters degree, and after a while I found that the automation game was not for him, he just did not have the right stuff. Another, unqualified guy that I hired around that time to build control panels, but he turned out to be excellent.

I suppose to sum up, anybody can be anything they want to be, provided they have the ability. I personally would never hire anyone to make an Automation technician out of him or her, they would have to prove to me their commitment to succeed in the field, by they themselves making the effort to learn, and not being waiting to be taught.
After all, A rock group would never advertise for a lead guitarist stating 'no experience necessary'

Go for it, if you like it you won't regret it. :)

Thanks for that, this is the kind of inspiration I am looking for, just a shame I can't find someone like you over here to give me a chance.
Thanks Andrew

Andrew,
Just my .02 worth but sounds to me like you could find a maintenance technician job and be the best of both worlds. Five years ago i made the jump from an industrial controls electrician into a full time maintenance position and i have never been happier. The automation department that i work in does a lot of in house projects as well as upgrade and maintain current systems, we do everything from instrumentation to networking to full integration of new systems and i love going to work everyday. Good Luck!

Thanks for that, this is the kind of inspiration I am looking for, just a shame I can't find someone like you over here to give me a chance.
Thanks Andrew

Funny that you mention 'over here', I am doing a project near Lincoln UK
With Allen Bradley SLC and some Flex I/O with Weintek HMI, interfacing with a bag filling line and an ABB Robot.

Funny that you mention 'over here', I am doing a project near Lincoln UK
With Allen Bradley SLC and some Flex I/O with Weintek HMI, interfacing with a bag filling line and an ABB Robot.

Hi Liam

Shame that, no experience on any of these yet or I could have possibly given you a hand, starting my AB course next week.

Thanks Andrew