Mid 90's 90-30 331 from LM to VersaPro or PME

JJGroezinger

I have a LM9030 program that is running on a IC693CPU331 that was installed in the mid 90's. How can I find out if this cpu can handle newer VP, or even better, PME without blindly trying to do a full download? I have access to VP 2.04SP3 and PME 9.8 SIM10. The program imports clean into VP and I get some minor warnings with PME.

The last character(s) of the CPU part number (example IC693CPU331AG) give you the firmware version. PME wants you to use firmware 4.5 or higher. Firmware version 4.5 was released in 1994.

Thank you for that. Is PME able to detect and abort a download if the firmware is wrong without erasing the LM90 code?

Last edited:
Sort of. There is a setting in Logic Developer PLC where you can manage downloading to a CPU with incompatible firmware. The choices are, "Prevent", "Warn", and "Allow". By default, I think it is set to "Prevent". "Warn" means it will alert you before downloading, but you can choose to go ahead and download anyway. "Allow" means you don't get the warning. It simply goes ahead with the download.
The definition of "incompatible" isn't exactly black/white. If your program doesn't use features that have been added in newer firmware releases than what you have, you may be able to download without any problems. That most likely describes your situation since your machine was originally programmed with Logicmaster. Still, if I were in your position I'd connect a battery to the original CPU module and remove it. Then install a spare module and download to it to make sure it works. If it doesn't, you can restore the original CPU. I'm not sure if the CPU331 has provision to connect a battery directly to it, so you may have to put it in a spare baseplate with a spare power supply module. There is a good sized capacitor on the CPU, so you can disconnect it from the battery for a few minutes (they used to claim up to 30 minutes) without losing the program or hardware configuration. It's also a good idea to start with fresh batteries, given the age of the system.