Software for SLC5/05

RSLogix 500 Starter. The biggest limitation is that it does not support online editing. Another reason I don't like it is the lack of online cross-reference.

I believe the cost is around $1200. I could be mistaken on that price, it has been a while since I had it quoted.

Old link with more info:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/archive/index.php/t-16489.html

Last edited:
I would say RSLogix 500, and RSLinx. RSLinx might come bundled with RSLogix 500.

(RSLinx is something like a universal communications protocol for the entire RSLogix family.)

Also, I suspect you will need to cross reference the SLC05 version against which version of RSLogix 500 will work with it.

Lastly, there is the cable. I have several very old SLC 5-04's to maintain . . . and my notes indicate I need the following cable :

>>>
1.) Plug Laptop up to SLC and start laptop.
(Use cable labeled Laptop to PLC’s – 1784-PCM5/B.)
(Same cable is used to connect to the Totalizer PLC’s.)
>>>

MadPoet.

Also, I suspect you will need to cross reference the SLC05 version against which version of RSLogix 500 will work with it.

Unlike with the ControlLogix PLCs, if you have the most recent version of RSLogix 500 or RSLogix 5 programming software, then you can work with any SLC500 or PLC5.

I just re-checked my notes.

(That 1784 cable calls for some more expensive hardware . .. )

Lately I have been using :

>>>
For both the Totalizer PLC and the Compensator SLC, the cable to be used is an Allen Bradley 1756CP3/A (or equivalent). The straight end goes into the laptops serial port, the right angle end goes into the socket on the PLC (or SLC) CPU module.

(9-pin serial port type connectors on both ends. As I recall, there is an SLC which has something that looks like an oversized phone jack connector on it . . . which do you have?)
>>>
To access the Compensator SLC
1.) Open RSLinx lite. At the Communications menu,
Select ‘Configure Drivers’.
Stop the other drivers, Start ‘SLCs DH485’ etc.
Start RSLogix 500 and access the Compensator SLC in the usual manner.
(RSWho, expand ‘SLCs DH485’ etc.)
>>>

Mind you, the SLC's I am using and the software I am using are both pretty old. They have been pretty reliable for me though.
MadPoet.

the cable to be used is an Allen Bradley 1756CP3/A (or equivalent).
That is just a plain crossed serial cable, aka "null-modem cable".
And yes, it will work with the CH0 port in DF1 mode on any SLC5/03, SLC5/04 or SLC5/05.
The only thing that can go wrong is if CH0 is setup for ASCII mode.

Any ideas on a serial cable that will enable the serial port on a laptop (real serial port on an old laptop) to access a PLC-5/15's 9 pin DH+ connector?

(I know that such a beast exists . . . I had one once, it vanished along about the same time a co-worker went to californica.)

MadPoet.

Any ideas on a serial cable that will enable the serial port on a laptop (real serial port on an old laptop) to access a PLC-5/15's 9 pin DH+ connector?

(I know that such a beast exists . . . I had one once, it vanished along about the same time a co-worker went to californica.)

MadPoet.

A 1770-KF2 box.