Allen-Bradley SLC500 BASIC Module

sailerman

I have 2 identical systems that have the AB SLC500 Basic card in them.
I system stopped working and the issue was traced back to the card.
Switching cards from one system to the other, the problem goes with the card.

New card and blank eprom chip arrives.

I can not figure out how to pull the program from the working side to upload onto the new card.

I am using an emulator and am able to see the introduction remarks from the allen bradley.

ie.

SLC 500 BASIC Module - Catalog Number 1746-BAS
Firmware release: 7.00
Allen-Bradley Company, Copyright 1989 - 1999
All rights reserved

READY
>

Attempting to download at this point leads to ERROR: BAD SYNTAX.
I've tried all the various "modem" downloads and options available.

Any help in pulling the working program would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.
since the problem went with the card, i would do this.
power down the plc, put the cards back into the original location, reseat all cards and the processor twice. reseat the power supply twice, if there is more than 1 chassis, reseat the comms cable on each end twice. the connections get dirty/corroded.
i had this happen on a drill and tap machine years ago. after i did this, it ran like a champ.

if memory doesn't fail me, the basic module used programming software and it is programed in assembler. that was back in the early 90's so i would suggest that you get in contact with your local rep for help.
james

@Nova5 - I am able to move the optional eprom chip from one to the other. If i move the "good" chip to the non-working card, I get a working card and functioning machine. What I can't figure out is how to get the program of the chip and program the new chip with this information.

@ Mcquade - We have reseated the cards and IO cables multiple times. We have not however, reseated the chip to see if that works. We will try that next.

If you have Tech Connect and search the knowledge base, they no longer have a special program. They describe setting up HyperTerminal and doing a list command. Then you copy the window to a text file.

@MrVolts - So at the terminal level, use the LIST command? Assuming this then list the program, I need to copy this to a text file and then upload the text file to the other chip?

@OkiePC - I'll check out the link now.

Follow up: I believe I have a better understanding after reviewing all the posted material.
At least enough information to be dangerous...
Will try the CONTROL-C, command along with the LIST, command to determine if this gives me the program i'm looking for.
I will update tomorrow on the success or failure.

Last edited:
@Nova5 - I am able to move the optional eprom chip from one to the other. If i move the "good" chip to the non-working card, I get a working card and functioning machine. What I can't figure out is how to get the program of the chip and program the new chip with this information.

@ Mcquade - We have reseated the cards and IO cables multiple times. We have not however, reseated the chip to see if that works. We will try that next.

But can you move the old chip to a new card and have success? if not, it sounds like the chip is faulty since you can put the new chip in the old card and revive it.

@Nova5 - You are correct with your assessment, the chip is faulty. That brings me back to how do i get the old program onto the new chip. Reading all the linked information above, I feel I have a path forward. I will update with my success or failure tomorrow.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the misunderstanding might be that we are really talking about 3 modules. The faulty module, the working module and the new one that needs to have the program loaded into it after getting it from the working one.

Will try the CONTROL-C, command along with the LIST, command to determine if this gives me the program i'm looking for.
I will update tomorrow on the success or failure.

Control-C will stop the program, List will display the program currently in RAM,
entering a CALL 81 will list all programs stored in ROM.
If there are programs in ROM, ROM 1 will change the console to ROM 1 then LIST to show that program.
The manual you should refer to is 1746-rm001.

UPDATE:
So short story, it's working.

Long Version:
The manual 1746-um004, lists basic commands on page 52. This was very helpful.
The manual was a bit overwhelming at first but after several reviews and with input from all of you, it began to make sense. Understanding how to clear and push programs to RAM and ROM was very helpful. Knowing to copy the list program and then paste into notepad to save the program was helpful too. After programing the new chip and the new card, the machine was throwing a new error. Placing the new chip in the old card, the machine fired up and is running great.

I'll have to review the new card and check jumpers and such.

A big thank you to everyone. I could not have figured this out without all your help. I'm so thankful for places like this and people like you that take the time to share your knowledge and help others.

Have a great day.

@Nova5 - That was my first thought too, that I didn't swap the jumper from Program to Run mode... No such luck.
Thank you for the thought.

After a few days when the machine is back on schedule, it will give me an opportunity to compare in depth the 2 modules.