OPC server/client

infineum

I know that this question has been asked probably 1000 times in the forum. But I am still a bit confused. I work with two types of SCADA, RSViewSE amd Wonderware InTouch. RSViewSE is an OPC client. Therefore if I chose, I could connect a controllogix PLC to RSView using the RSLinx OPC server in RSLinx Pro. Wonderware InTouch, however, is not an OPC client. Therefore, I have to use OPCLink to connect to an OPC server such the RSLinx OPC server (not the I/O driver). OPCLink is a suitelink-to-OPC converter. Am I on track? Now, if I want to use RSView or Wonderware tags in another application that is an OPC client, I must use an OPC server that has the capability to browse these tags such as RSOPC Gateway (for RSViewSE) or TopServer (for Wonderware). Please let me know if I am close to being on track. Thanks.

Are you sure Wonderware InTouch is not an OPC Client? Why do you think it is not?

Wonderware's statement on Intouch is
"The InTouch HMI and other Wonderware products are capable of serving as OPC clients or an OPC server." for their current version 9.5
http://www.wonderware.com/products/intouch/

It would seem to me that you should be able to configure Intouch as an OPC client to browse the RSLinx OPC server, unless your version is way out of date.

Dan

Wonderware OPC client

I am using InTouch version 8.0. I do not believe that this version has the capability of acting as an OPC client, hence the use of OPClink. I will check into version 9.5. Thanks.

Wonderware InTouch 9.5

I loaded InTouch 9.5. When an access name is configured, there is no selection for OPC Server just DDE or Suitelink. How do you configure an OPC server communications within InTouch?