Siemens S7-1200 Ethernet to Red Lion Data Station

woolie161

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All,
I am hoping someone can help. I have setup a Red Lion Data Station (DA30D, Crimson 3.1 Build 3112) to log data from several Allen Bradley PLCs and a Siemens S7-1200 via Ethernet. All is good except the no data is received from the S7-1200 (TIA Portal V13 Firmware 4.1).
I have confirmed that the S7 is on the same network segment as the Data Station (DS) and I have followed the Red Lion Tech Note on setting up communications using the "Siemens S7 TCP/IP Master with TIA S7 Tag Import" driver. I have checked the box for "Permit access with PUT/GET communication with remote partner (PLC, HMI, OPC, …)" and I have checked that the Data Blocks are NOT optimized.
If I use our "Test S7-1200" Firmware V3.0 with the same FB's & DB's then the Communications to the Data Station works. The major difference between the 2 PLC's is the Firmware Version.
Also the PLC on site (FW4.1) has 3 G120 VSDs, I Siemens HMI and 1x Remote IO Station, where as our Test PLC (FW3.0) is stand alone.

Could it be an issue with the number of connected devices?
Has anybody else had a communication issue with different firmware versions between the same model S7-1200?
I have attached a ".pdf" comparing the properties from both PLCs and another showing the FB & DB properties

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thank you

Woolie161

V3 to V4 was a very significant FW change, specifically regarding the security of the comms to the PLC, so if there was a FW difference that would matter, that could be it.

I don't see anything wrong with the DB properties, but your "PLC Properties" zip just has the FB screenshots again.

The bit that often used to catch me was that Hardware changes weren't downloaded if you were online to the PLC. You had to go offline so that TIA would then reconnect and download the changes. Any chance that the Hardware changes, which include the Put/Get setting, haven't transferred to the PLC. I generally use a card to transfer programs now so it doesn't get me so often.

S7-1200 to Data Station

Thank you mk42 and BryanG for your replies.
Sorry about the PLC properties zip file, I spent quite a bit of time separating and reducing the document to fit the file limit size.
On my original connection to the "Onsite PLC V4.1" the "PUT/GET" check box was already ticked. Since then I have changed the IP Address of the nPLC and connected devices to suit the existing Factory Network.
So a hardware down load has been done. My worst fears are possibly confirmed that a different firmware version may be the issue. Red Lion tech support didn't think the Firmware would make a difference, but I will go back to them with the new information from my last visit to site. If / when I get it sorted, I'll post back in case it helps others in the future.

Again thank you for your comments and support
Woolie

Thank you mk42 and BryanG for your replies.
Sorry about the PLC properties zip file, I spent quite a bit of time separating and reducing the document to fit the file limit size.
On my original connection to the "Onsite PLC V4.1" the "PUT/GET" check box was already ticked. Since then I have changed the IP Address of the nPLC and connected devices to suit the existing Factory Network.
So a hardware down load has been done. My worst fears are possibly confirmed that a different firmware version may be the issue. Red Lion tech support didn't think the Firmware would make a difference, but I will go back to them with the new information from my last visit to site. If / when I get it sorted, I'll post back in case it helps others in the future.

Again thank you for your comments and support
Woolie

I guess I should be clear that the FW3 to FW4 difference is UNLIKELY to be the issue, but that it is probably more likely than the average FW difference. The Enable Put/Get checkbox enables the old S7-300 communicaiton protocol, which more or less bypasses all the new security that V4 added, but it still should be possible to use.

You say you changed IP addresses. What are the IP, subnet mask, and gateway of the PLC and Red Lion unit?

I wouldn't have any worse fears on the firmware front, I have used the S7-1200 in all firmware versions with Crimson and Red Lion HMIs. I would be looking for a bad settings or a faulty device.

Thanks for the continued interest and support.
Just when I think I have found the issue, that being the different Firmware, you both return with a similar reply (bummer). The IP address were changed about 1 month ago with no issue.
PLC IP: 10.21.33.63 Subnet 255.255.255.128 Gateway 10.21.33.1
DS IP: 10.21.33.124 Subnet 255.255.255.128 Gateway 10.21.33.1
I have connected my laptop at 3 different locations around the plant and I can always "Ping" both devices with <10mS response.
I have re-attached the PLC properties comparison. If either of you have the interest and time, I would appreciate if you could review the properties and see if I have missed anything obvious.
The onsite (Firmware 4.1) PLC has several devices connected via Ethernet and as I don't understand the "Connection Resources" table I am wondering if these settings may have an affect.
I appreciate the replies.
Woolie

If you go online, then diagnostic and look connection resources table then. What is numbers of used resources then?

And what is yellow marking saying there?

Hello Lare,
I'll record the Connection Resource status etc. when on line next time I'm on site. That may not be until late this week or even next week.
Thanks for the comments.

Thanks for the continued interest and support.
Just when I think I have found the issue, that being the different Firmware, you both return with a similar reply (bummer). The IP address were changed about 1 month ago with no issue.
PLC IP: 10.21.33.63 Subnet 255.255.255.128 Gateway 10.21.33.1
DS IP: 10.21.33.124 Subnet 255.255.255.128 Gateway 10.21.33.1
I have connected my laptop at 3 different locations around the plant and I can always "Ping" both devices with <10mS response.
I have re-attached the PLC properties comparison. If either of you have the interest and time, I would appreciate if you could review the properties and see if I have missed anything obvious.
The onsite (Firmware 4.1) PLC has several devices connected via Ethernet and as I don't understand the "Connection Resources" table I am wondering if these settings may have an affect.
I appreciate the replies.
Woolie

Try the "Update module description" button at the top of the page. I heard of a time someone upgraded the PLC FW in the project and it LOOKED like it was upgraded, but somehow it didn't take until they pushed that button.

Otherwise, I'm a bit befuddled.

OK, when I get something that doesn't make sense I simplify the problem. You are reading from a variety of devices, create a new program in Crimson and rather than reading a load of data, just read say one digital or analogue input on the PLC. Or can you get M memory to be seen on the Data Station. Don't import the data from Siemens enter it by hand. At least if you can read something it will boost your confidence on the firmware change.

I did have an issue with the "Siemens S7 TCP/IP Master with TIA S7 Tag Import" driver and was never able to reliably replicate it. The symptom was that on an HMI I just got some empty flashing boxes, but no data read. It was something to do with missing devices on the PLC. I 'fixed' it by using the "Siemens S7 300/400 TCP/IP Master" driver instead. You can always use the first driver to get everything imported and then swap to the second for normal use. I think I had to use File / Utilities / Rebuild Comms Blocks.

Thank you both again for your comments and suggestions.
I will try the "Update module" button as you suggested, although this machine came from England over 3 years ago and it was only the IP Address that was changed.
BrianG, Great advice start with only one tag to read, which is how I started. I experimented with only 1 tag and different drivers in the Data Station initially. Even deleting all the Allen Bradley devices. Still no success. When I returned to site with our "Test PLC" FW3.0, copied the relevant FB & DB blocks across, communications was established. Hence the conclusion that it was a Firmware "thing".
Thanks to this forum, I have several suggestions to try next time I am on site.

I really appreciate the time and effort members are volunteering to help.

Plan B. Being a pragmatist, if the Test PLC works I would leave the Test PLC connected permanently on site and worry the problem back at HQ. In the mean time I would add a search on ebay looking for a new Test PLC FW3.0. I possibly have one here on the shelf, you can have it, but only if you pay my ticket to deliver in person. :)

"you can have it, but only if you pay my ticket to deliver in person. :)"
Thanks for the reply Bryan,
Your ticket will be the cheap part as we have 14 day compulsory isolation in Hotels in Australia at the travellers cost due to Covid-19!

Swapping out PLC's may be the easiest option. I just need to remember where this V3.0 PLC came from and why it was removed in the 1st place.

Once again, Thank you to all that have commented. Greatly Appreciated.

Woolie

Apologies for keep adding to the thread, but I keep thinking of stuff. Are these connected to a smart Ethernet switch, if so has MAC Address filtering been switched on. Then look in the PLC error Log, there may be something there, I don't know if earlier firmwares checked for duplicate IP addresses. Then linked to that, disconnect the PLC and try to Ping it, if you still get an answer, you know that you have duplicated IP addresses. I will stop thinking now, honest. :)