Win XP SP2 and PLC2

glenncovington

Lifetime Supporting Member
Thanks in advance for any help. You are one of the best sources for answers.

I have been researching this and several people have had the same problem, and thought maybe somebody by now would have come up with a workaround.

Convinced the boss to buy a new laptop for maintenance with the "end of the year" money. I bought a Dell Latitude D505 which has WIN XP SP2 and a real serial port. After installing software and licenses all is well except the old ICOM PLC2 software. There is a 1784-PCMK ser A card in the system that works fine with RSLogix and RSLinx, but no go on the PLC2.

The PLC2 Software comes up and runs ok, but no communication. Has anyone come up with a workable solution to load drivers for the PCMK card that the PLC2 software can access, but not mess up the RSLinx and WinXP drivers?

I didn't know if the Virtual PC software would allow a WIN98 setup within the WINXP environment access to the hardware (specifically the PCMK card) with Win98 drivers. I know the ICOM PLC2 works under WIN98 because it was working on the old laptop.

Anybody else fought this battle and won? Really would like to have everything on one laptop versus having to dedicate laptops to PLC families.

Glenn :(

I've had luck with Virtual PC running on XP
Inside of virtual PC I installed DOS 6.22 and then the old PDS (panelview1200) software.

Dont know if you will get same results but if you already have virtual PC, its only going to cost time...