Panelview Plus Series B - ICMP (Ping)

celichi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on why Rockwell has this disabled by Default on Series B (Series A this is always enabled I believe).

Do you think this is a security risk to turn on this service and leave it on?

99.999% of the networks we work with are isolated physically, so I a not sure it is a big deal for most?

Best to all,
Paul

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate the input!!

I am impressed with who owns that webpage, genuinely nice of someone to have a registration for that URL.

After reading that webpage, I am left wondering if that opinion or suggestion ( NO! ) is directed more towards an entire network, meaning do not block ICMP at the switch for your entire network?

I am wondering if the same applies to just one PC.

What do you think?

I'm not a fan of the fact that it is disabled by default. No other device is like this in my microcosm. Most Rockwell questions in our organization tend to come through me, so this is another one that I have to field. "I gave the PanelView an IP address, but I can't ping it".

what your thoughts are

Someone in IT management at General Motors decided that ICMP PING is a security risk. Probably someone who is also on the ODVA secure CIP subcommittee.