Red Lion Crimson 3.1

BobB

Lifetime Supporting Member
I do not usually use Red Lion screens.
I am struggling trying to find a way to have a multi state object.
I wish to have a pump that is red when off, green when running and amber (or yellow) when in fault.
I am used to this being a word lamp and 1 = red, 2 = green and 3 = amber in the register that is the tag.
Can anyone help please?
I am also trying to have a vertical guage where I can specify different colours at different levels to indicate low/low level, low level, high level depending on the count from the register where the value is stored.

Last edited:
For the multistate image: Go to core primitives and select 'image', set the number of images to select from to 3, choose a red image for value 1, yellow image for value 2 and red image for value 3. Then set the tag as the thing that selects which image to use.

For the vertical bar: Go into primitives and choose Legacy, then Vertical Bar. Double click the vertical bar, go to the colours tab and change the Colour Type from General to Multistate.

I think have have that right, but no promises :)

Thank you - I will give it a go. Rather cryptic to what I normally use LOL.

Actually - Plan B :)
For the vertical bar: Go to core primitives, drag a rectangle on to the screen, double click it and in fill mode choose 'Fill from bottom'. The in colours select 4 colour animation for the fill type. You would have to play with that, I haven't used it. Or choose Complex for the fill type and have it return different colours at different values.

It appears IMG is now in primitives not legacy.
Experimenting with vertical scale fro legacy - looks promising.
thank you.

You can also set up a tag as a multi-state and assign the colors as multistate to the tag. Then if you use core primitives to represent them graphically, you can pull the colors from that tag. That lets you assign those things at the tag level where you have sort of a global way to apply them.

For example, you add a new state for "COMM LOSS" with its own unique colors for 12 pumps that are VFD controlled, you only have to do that at the tag and not all the places they are used on multiple pages.

You can also assign the tag format and colors as "Linked" so you have Pump_1 as the master tag and all the others linked to it. Then however you format the Pump_1 tags ... those properties get inherited by all the other tags that are linked to it.

Sometimes the IMG object is better. When you pick an object you like, it isn't obvious, but you can click it to get a list of that object in a variety of colors.

For the color changing level indicator, here's some detail for a part of a widget I use for tank levels where I make the color flash when it is at or outside of the alarm setpoints:

crimsoncolorchanginglevelindicator.png

Another question - with the clock data box I gather it is not possible to adjust the time clock from the screen? Only by powering down and back up again and pushing the button on the back?

I had forgotten how clunky Red Lion is - have been spoiled with what I have been using. Needed an Emerson driver so Red Lion it is. Customer will not be happy as he will not get his usually pretty smick graphics. Oh well.

Another question - with the clock data box I gather it is not possible to adjust the time clock from the screen? Only by powering down and back up again and pushing the button on the back?
Yes you can set the time from a user screen. As normal with Red Lion there is more than one way to do it. From core primitives you can drag a Time and Date primitive on to the screen, it is Display Only, but go to the properties and change it to Data Entry. Don't forget to decide how much of Date and Time you want on the button by going to the Format tab and choosing the Format Mode.
The other way is to drag almost any Primitive on to the screen, right click and 'add data', then from the Resource Pane choose System/Variables and drag TimeNow in to the Data Source.

To add some movement, watch this from Joe Wazoo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-1vsyXm8MI
Much easier to watch than for me to explain :)

Joe has a load of videos that might helps you get out of the WTF stage o_O :ROFLMAO:
Wait till you get to Widgets, that will really blow your mind. :)

I normally have a "master slide" that has the time in the upper left and an alarm banner and if you touch the time, it navigates to a "Clock" page where I let you edit the HMI time and contains a button to let you write that time to the PLC. Depending on the PLC, there will be PLC code required to complete this if the HMI cannot directly access the clock registers (like with the RTC function file of a Micrologix).

Attached is an example from an app where I stripped away most everything else.

Last edited:
Thank you both. It is interesting but the data entry page was blocked out on the clock display and I could not clear it.
That being said the setting page on your example OkiePC has access to it.
I will have a look at the youtube videos thank you.