problem in communication between micrologix 1200 & Panel View 600 Plus by serial DF1

sandippawar7

problem in communication between micrologix 1200 & Panel View 600 Plus by serial DF1

Hello Friends
i have to do communication between micrologix 1200 & panel view
600 plus communication.
1- From Laptop to Controller communication done also in laptop FTV 8.0 Showing communication between PLC & HMI.
2- When i create runtime file & download in factory talk view with ethernet then its not comminicating.
3- please suggest mi proper method of communication & which cable should i use.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Let's take it step by step...

What is the catalog number of the "micrologix 1200" controller?

Examples: 1762-L24AWA or 1762-L24AWAR

What is the catalog number of the "Panel View 600 Plus" terminal?

Examples: 2711P-T6C20D or 2711P-T6M20A

Once we can confirm the hardware we can have a look at how and what you need to connect them together to communicate using the Serial DF1 protocol.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
plc & panel view catlog number

o_O 2711P-T6C20D8 for Panel view 600 plus
o_O Micrologix PLC 1762-l40BXB

THIS two are catlog no of PLC & PANEL VIEW

PLEASE SUGGEST suitable and working communication cable with method with df1

ScruffyNerfHurtr said:
https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=251911746589&&&chn=ps

Should be something similar to this. same one I use for connection between a micrologix 1500 and C-more HMI

Sorry for the tangent but whenever I think there is a fundamental understanding at stake I feel compelled to point it out for the good of the individual or individuals.

ScruffyNerfHurtr,

There is a very quick answer to why your suggested cable option, on its own, will not work here. But I don't think a quick answer will do you any good for the future. If you do already know some or all of the following, and just didn't think of it at the time, then please forgive me. If you didn't realise any of this then I hope you will come to understand something important with regard to selecting and using cables between various serial communications capable devices.

The cable linked above is the tried and trusted 1761-CBL-PM02 cable. This cable is classified as an Allen Bradley controller programming cable. It is designed to be used between a programming workstation and an Allen Bradley controller. Therefore, this cable is a null modem crossover cable, with respect to the transmit and receive signals. This is because both of these devices are classified as Data Terminal Equipment (DTE) according to the RS-232 serial communications standard. As they both conform to the DTE standard, their communication ports cannot be connected, signal for signal, to each other using a straight-through serial cable. Using a straight-through serial cable between DTE devices, the transmit signal would go to transmit and receive signal would go to receive and communication would not occur (T-T & R-R). They are not directly compatible. The null modem cable swaps the transmit and receive signals between two DTE devices to overcome this.

Just to be clear, and perhaps state the obvious...

The transmit signal of one device must go to the receive signal of the other device and vice versa (T-R & R-T).

When we connect an Allen Bradley controller to an Allen Bradley HMI terminal we are now connecting a DTE controller to a Data Communication Equipment (DCE) terminal. As DTE and DCE devices are compatible for direct connection, with respect to the transmit and receive signals, we can use a straight-through serial cable. This is because the DTE and DCE standards dictate that the transmit and receive signals must be presented at both device ports in a configuration that supports direct, straight-through communication.

So, because the 1761-CBL-PM02 is a null modem crossover cable, and not a straight-through cable, it cannot be used directly between DTE and DCE devices. The crossover would swap the transmit and receive signals, which would render the DTE and DCE ports incompatible for communication (T-T & R-R instead of T-R & R-T).

If you use a null modem adapter with a null modem cable, it will swap the transmit and receive signals, which effectively makes the null modem cable a straight-through cable. This cable may then be used to connect a DTE device to a DCE device.

So, in short, the 1761-CBL-PM02 null modem serial cable may be used between a DTE MicroLogix 8-pin mini-Din serial port and a DCE PanelView Plus 9-pin D-Sub serial port, as long as a null modem adapter is used with the cable. This part is sort of the "quick" answer I was referring to earlier. But now you know why one would need to add a null modem adapter to a null modem cable when connecting a DTE device to a DCE device.

The simpler way, of course, is to use a straight-through serial cable which is designed for DTE to DCE communications. This takes us on to our friend Sandip's own suggestion...

Regards,
George

sandippawar7 said:
can i use nc21 cable for that communication

Hi again Sandip,

Thank you for posting the catalog numbers above. Now we can be sure of what you have and what you need to do to get them communicating.

Note: Do please try, where you can, to use full catalog numbers when mentioning equipment and cables, etc. It helps to reduce the chances of people mistaking which specific product you mean. For instance, there are many third-party companies manufacturing replica Allen Bradley cables which may contain part references to the original AB cable catalog number. "...nc21..." is only part of a catalog number and could lead to such confusion.

If I am not mistaken, the cable you are inquiring about is an original AB "2711-NC21". This is a 5m/16ft straight-through serial cable. This is one of the recommended cables for connecting controllers with an 8-pin mini-Din serial port to PanelView terminals with an RS-232 serial port. If you already have this cable or are intending to purchase one then you are on the right track.

Note: the 2711-NC21 is a straight-through serial cable and is only intended for use between a DTE controller and a DCE HMI terminal. It can also be used to connect a DTE workstation to a DCE HMI terminal for application transfers and testing the application. It is not intended to be used between a DTE controller and a DTE workstation for programming the controller. Again, a null modem crossover cable, such as the aforementioned 1761-CBL-PM02, would normally be used. However, if a null modem adapter is used with the 2711-NC21 straight-through cable, then it will convert it to a null modem cable and then it can be used between a DTE controller and DTE workstation.

If you already have a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable then I would recommend using it for programming your controller. But you seem to already be communicating from your workstation to the controller...

sandippawar7 said:
...From Laptop to Controller communication done...

I would take this to mean that you already have the MicroLogix 1200 Channel 0 port configured and working with a DF1 driver in RSLinx Classic?

For reference, these are the default settings for the MicroLogix 1200 Channel 0 port...

Baud Rate: 19.2k
Parity: none
Source ID (Node Address): 1
Control Line: no handshaking
Stop Bits: 1

This is how the controller's port should be configured. Please can you confirm these settings are correct?

sandippawar7 said:
...in laptop FTV 8.0 Showing communication between PLC & HMI...When i create runtime file & download in factory talk view with ethernet then its not comminicating...

I would take this to mean that you have successfully downloaded a program into the controller using DF1, and also you have successfully downloaded an application into the terminal, using Ethernet. And then you are experiencing communications issues?

How are you connecting the controller to the terminal when this happens? Which cable have you been using?

To double-check the application settings...

In the View Studio application, under Communications Setup, what driver or drivers have you configured to communicate with the controller and under which tab - Design (Local) or Runtime (Target)?

You should have added the Serial DF1 driver under the Runtime (Target) tab and you must manually add the MicroLogix controller to this driver by right-clicking the driver and then "Add devices".

Once you have added the controller under the driver you must then create a shortcut by using the "Add" button. Give the shortcut a name that the application can reference the controller with, but do try to keep it short. Example: "MLX01" OR "ML1200", or whatever you prefer.

Then you must link this shortcut instance with the controller instance under the Serial DF1 driver. To do this, highlight both instances and then click on "Apply". The new shortcut, that the application tag references will be able to use, should now be linked to the controller at Runtime. All your tag references for the controller should have this shortcut name included in their syntax.

Also, when you download the application to the terminal and run it, you will be prompted to select whether to use the application's Communications Setup or the terminal's current communications configuration. You should choose to use the application's Communications Setup. If you are not choosing this option, and the terminal is not currently configured with a Serial DF1 driver, then communications will not work.

I think that covers most of the basic setup? If you can follow that and something is still not right, then please answer the questions above and state exactly what is not working. Also, please quote any messages you may be seeing on the terminal at Runtime.

Regards,
George