OT: motor peckerhead

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
Where did the term "peckerhead" originate in reference to a motor junction box?

We use radios for communication on the plant floor. The other day a maintenance tech used this word on the radio and was teased about it all day. He asked me if I knew where the term came from, and I don't but I bet somebody here does...

I have heard the term about a half dozen times over the last 33 years. It may be a regional term. Several large plants where I have spent 1-3 years with old timers did not use the term. But then, this is an extremely conservative area.

However, it has been used a lot todescibe some of the maintenance crew!

I have heard many other terms of endeerment for the junction box, though.

regards.....casey

It’s also called a ‘birds nest’. So maybe peckerhead was in reference to the person working in/on the birds nest. Pecker = bird.

Never heard of it over here.

Maybe someone swore at one once (not surprising - they're never big enough or in the right orientation) and the name stuck after someone made it sound more polite.

First place I heard it was in Navy. They had this 90 coming out of some motors (in case of long leads) or it came out of the motor junction box that drooped down. Sort of looked like a ***** I guess -- after 60 days at sea some sailors get even more "imaginative".

Squirrel nest, rat nest, spagetti box, tangle box refer to wireways used for runs and terminations(splices). After two or 3 guys got in there they got all tangled up.

Dan Bentler

OkiePC said:
Where did the term "peckerhead" originate in reference to a motor junction box?

We use radios for communication on the plant floor. The other day a maintenance tech used this word on the radio and was teased about it all day. He asked me if I knew where the term came from, and I don't but I bet somebody here does...

If you know what the slang word "pecker" means and you look at an old motor you can probably figure it out for yourself.

No matter the origin, it is probably wise not to use the term anymore. I know a guy who got in trouble for asking someone to pass the "Dikes (sp?)" (diagonal cutters) when a woman manager walked by.

I did it in a lecture when I mentioned stripprs and dikes in same sentance. My brother did it talking about pipe nipples. Wonder how plumbers do PC -- nipples, sillcocks stopcocks, etc etc.

Dan Bentler

you should see the look on some peoples face when i ask them for a "Horse ****"..It is slang for a Kelm grip..But half the sparkies out there have no clue what a kelm grip is..ask for a horse **** and the know..

I have never heard pekerhead used for motor boxes..but do call some employees by that name!!!

I have a hard time with controrling the slang becuse many customers are offended by it. Some guys actually didnt know the proper name so we published a cross refrence list. Dogs = Channel Locks, Dykes = Side Cutters, Elephant s*it = Babbit Right, etc...

It's slow but their comming around..

Here's an interesting link on the topic: http://www.tradeslang.com/tradeslang_about.htm

How about "doghouse"?

I've been calling them "peckerheads" for as long as I can remember. I've also heard them called "doghouses". I really wish someone knew the origin. I'd also like to know.

You guys are halarious. =] I think thats a universal term for in in the Gulf of Mexico. Everyone calls them peckerheads. Of course no one knows why.