Import/export ASCII files for documentation

gmultani52

Hi

I have uploaded a program from slc 5/05. programm do not show element discription and rung commets. How I can get that. I do not have orignal copy of program.
In this forum in brif I come to know that ASCII import/export can play some role. Can some body explain step wise in detail. That will be great. thanks

The documentation is not kept in the plc. You would need the original program to obtain the documentation. The other option is spend the time and document yourself.

Whether or not you can work this out depends entirely upon the complexity of the process. The more complex the process, the more unlikely that you will be able to "Reverse-Engineer" the names and comments.

The Inputs and Outputs should be self-explanatory. However, the internal relays can be quite difficult to decifer unless you understand what the programmer had in mind.

The hard part is when internal-relays drive internal-relays which drive other internal-relays which, in turn, drive yet more internal-relays.

This is not an easy task and you are obviously a rookie. It's quite easy to find yourself overwhelmed... but, it is not an impossible task to accomplish... however, keep a lot of aspirin at hand.

Have a look in your Technical Library. You mave find the OEM manual has a hard copy print out off the ladder logic. Even if the program has been modified since it was first installed you should be able to then comment at least 90% of the program yourself

Program Listing in the OEM Manual???? Wha-zat??? Where-zat??? Huh???

Most OEM Manuals DO NOT include a listing of the code. They simply provide how-to's.

If you do provide a listing... good for you! I'm sure that your users appreciate it.

But, in general, with this bogus stuff about "Intellectual Property Rights", there is little reason to believe that a code-listing will be included in the OEM Manual.

Depending on the circumstance of how the machine was purchased you may be able to get an annotated copy of the program from the original builder.

I know, long shot, but if there was a design charge when the machine was purchased then the logic with annotation would be a deliverable and would belong to the purchaser. I do this often for Ford/GM/DCX. They buy a machine, run it for a couple of years, contract us to make a change and can't find the original disk. So I call up the OEM, tell them what I'm doing and ask them to email the program to me. Did it today on some older CNC lathes with GE/Fanuc controls. Only once did I get a negative reply.

Our company provides to the customer:

1. The manual on a CD complete with all the PLC program and the programs for any programmed device - displays, servos, barcode readers etc. A printout of the PLC program and the machine schematic in PDF form is included. The machine schematic is also included in Autocad form.

2. A hard copy printout of the PLC program

3. Access to these materials with a password on our company website, just in case they're "lost".