Siemens PLC to PLC communication

JDCROCKETT724

I am trying to send data to another PLC. Now, I know I need to use the get and put FB's, but my question comes in the ID of the plc through profinet. I have learned that I set the ID in netpro, and I have done so. See attached photo. The ID of the PLC I wish to send data to is 2. In the image you can see this in red.

Now here is my problem. When these machines are installed on the customer floor they will not be networked together on the 192.168.1 subnet. Instead the PLC and HMI's for each station will be connected to the customers network through a different subnet. This is the reason for the CP343-1 card circled in blue. So each station communicates to all of its devices through the 192.168.1 subnet and I will no longer be able to see these other stations through this subnet. So my question is can I setup the connection path on my PLC to another PLC through the CP343 card with an IP address of 10.201.76.1 as an example?

Netpro.jpg

Are you asking if you can have two different IP on two different interfaces?
Yes you can.

That is good to know. Unfortunately, the two different IP address will not be on the same network. So they couldn't talk to each other even if they were the same. The CP343 and HMI from each machine will be on this isolated network. Thus, the question of can I put data onto another PLC via the separate profinet card? When I look at the connection as seen in the image I attached earlier you can see that the address is that of the PLC profinet port.

I see. I think the problem is that if you attach a separate CP to a PLC, you need to send the data from the CPU to that CP. It might be that causing some trouble here.

What is stopping you from using the first interface?

I have used a separate CP when the costumer wants to connect to the PLC from the "office network" without having to reserve IP for all equipment that is controlled by the PLC.

Then I am not getting what you are needing :).

You got 2 PLC's with a lot of bus devices. The interface on the CPU is connected to the net to control all these devices. You can use this interface to communicate between the 2 CPU's. I thought you were required to change the IP range of this bus to suit the clients network?

Or do you have additional devices that are connected to the network in the other subnet?

Maybe this simplified example can help explain:

Machine 1:
-PLC 192.168.1.1
-Valve Bank - 192.168.1.2
-CP343 Card - 10.72.200.1

Machine 2:
-PLC 192.168.1.21
-Valve Bank - 192.168.1.22
-CP343 Card - 10.72.200.21

I need to get a word of data from Machine 1 to Machine 2. The machines are only connected through the 10.72.200 customer subnet on the CP343 card. The 192.168.1. components are completely isolated from the customer subnet electrically.

ok, got ya :). I thought they were on the same net.

If no one else comes with a brilliant solution, I think you could use TCP communication instead. It will let you select the 343 interface. Never tried this tho.

Or post your question on the Siemens Forum, they got some great experts that surely help you.

Sorry!

As I understand it, you want to create an S7 connection between two PLC's. But instead of directly connecting the two CPU's, the network architecture requires you to route via the CP343-1 in each rack. These CP343-1 modules are connected to a common network.

You should be able to select the CP343-1 as the interface, instead of the PLCs' integrated ports. In the screenshot you included, in the "Connection Path" area, use the "Interface" drop down. It should have options for both PLC and CP343. You would have to make that change on both sides.

That's just it. I would think the interface drop down would show this card but it does not. I must be missing a setting somewhere that would allow this card to be in the interface drop down menu.

EDIT: Figured out why it was not in the interface drop down menu. I did not drag the connection in netpro to the ethernet trunk. It is now there. However I still get an error in my PUT fb.

EDIT: Cleared my errors. All is good in the world now. I set my Local ID and partner ID to the same number. I thought they had to be different, but I guess they had to be the same. Maybe someone can explain to me the connections between PLCs. Specifically the Local ID and Partner ID.

Last edited: