first time with a PLC

snaggletto

Hello,
Totally PLC novice here. I picked up a DL205 6 slot PLC with a DL250 CPU and a few misc IO modules. I'm using the new Direct Soft 5.

I'm simply trying to flip a switch that turns on an output, as simple as it gets.

I quite embarassed to admit I'm lost on how to relate the element (IE. C0, X0, Y0)in the programming software to the specific physical input or output on the actual module.

For example, for my contact, DS5 states that my valid ranges are X0 - 777, C0 - 1777 etc... I chose X0 as my standard contact. I chose Y0 for my standard output. I've got a physical switch wired up to the 1st input terminal (actually labelled 0 or zero) on my input module. The input LED light comes on when the switch is thrown as it should.

In my program, how do I know which element address (C0, X0 etc.) is mapped to this specific input. And then, how do I know which output element is mapped to say my relay output module/discrete output module, 3rd terminal?

Thanks for any help, I hope my question makes sense.

Unless you've specifically changed it X0 will be the first input point in the first input card to the right of the CPU and Y0 will be the first output point in the first output card right of the CPU. Let us know which IO modules you are using and where in the rack they are and we can probably help more.

When online with the CPU go up to the top menu. Choose 'PLC' then come down to 'Configure I/O'. Choose the PLC symbol with an arrow pointing away. This reads the configuration of the I/O which is connected. Along with the module types is the start of any inputs or outputs associated with that module. This may be a step you need to understand.

Another method is to carefully read the documentation for each module. It specifies the number of inputs (X) and outputs (Y) each uses. Some modules (like a 10 point output) have 10 actual output points but use up 16 in the allocation as they are allocated in groups of 8. The first module to the right of the CPU which has inputs will have X0. Similarly the first which has outputs has Y0.

Thanks for the replies. Here is my setup from left to right and the
results of 'Configure IO.'

DL250 CPU
D2-CTRINT counter/pulse output module 8 in / 8 out
D2-08CDR 4pt 24VDC input AND 4pt relay out 8 in / 8 out
F2-04AD-1 4ch 4-20ma input 16 in
F2-04AD-2 4ch 0-10V input 16 in
D2-16TD1-2 16pt 12-24VDC sink output / 16 out

For starters, I'll just be using the 08CDR and the 16TD1-2. No real application as of yet. I'm simply trying to teach myself by doing.

Last edited:
For starters take the D2-CTRINT out of the rack. It uses I/O points and is something you may want to experiment with later, but not just yet. It is why your I/O isn't matching up to what you want it to be. The CTRINT is a difficult module for someone who is just beginning.

If you haven't gotten the manuals you can get them here,

The addressing is as follows:

DL250 CPU
D2-CTRINT counter/pulse output module 8 in / 8 out (X0-X7)/(y0-Y7)
D2-08CDR 4pt 24VDC input AND 4pt relay out 8 in / 8 out (X10-X17)/Y10-Y17)
F2-04AD-1 4ch 4-20ma input 16 in (x20-x37)
F2-04AD-2 4ch 0-10V input 16 in (x40-x57)
D2-16TD1-2 16pt 12-24VDC sink output / 16 out (Y20-Y37)

If you remove the counter & analog modules:

D2-08CDR 4pt 24VDC input AND 4pt relay out 8 in / 8 out (X0-X3)/(Y0-Y3)
D2-16TD1-2 16pt 12-24VDC sink output / 16 out (Y10-Y27)

Thanks for all the assistance everyone. I also had to learn a bit about octal numbering when I figured out that X8 wasn't valid ;) I put in X10 and it worked like a charm. I've got a few extra switches, a toggle switch and a NC micro switch wired up to play around with.

Can anybody recommend the PLC's.net DVD traning videos? Especially considering AD based PLCs? Thanks.

A couple of other hints:

C0 through CXXX are internal contacts and coils, and not referenced to the I/O

To use the analog module you have to initialize the registers where the program will store the analog value as 0-4095. This is one rung of code and need only be executed once on power up. The 205 manual has sample code and the special registers required for each position. Although input registers X40 to X57 are "occupied" by the analog input card you can't directly read data using them.

Thanks for the reply Tom. I've been running through the examples in the "Learn PLC's" section. I ran into using internal contacts and coil in the tank fill example. I've also ran through a counter and timer example with success.

I've not tried an 'I-box' yet. Isn't there some limitations on the firmware version of the CPU?

Can anybody recommend the PLC's.net DVD traning videos? Especially considering AD based PLCs? Thanks.

If you are talking about learning AutomationDirect PLCs specifically, you should get this trainer with video:
http://my.execpc.com/~icauto/

This guy gives training classes for AD products. I have never taken his PLC course but I did take his cource on Thinkndo years ago and he was very good.