Dangerous novices programming plc's

My dad would disagree.
He'd say the manual (or F1) would be the best place to start.

Do you have any idea how infuriating it is to search for something in the MicroWin (Siemens S7-200) manual?
While knowing your dad could easily tell you what you need to know, or even faster, do it for you?

It's helped me loads since then.
Easy answers are forgotten pretty fast.
Things you've literally spent days trying to figure out, you remember better and the added knowledge , which didn't solve your immediate problem, could always come in handy.

My dad would disagree.
He'd say the manual (or F1) would be the best place to start.

Do you have any idea how infuriating it is to search for something in the MicroWin (Siemens S7-200) manual?
While knowing your dad could easily tell you what you need to know, or even faster, do it for you?

It's helped me loads since then.
Easy answers are forgotten pretty fast.
Things you've literally spent days trying to figure out, you remember better and the added knowledge , which didn't solve your immediate problem, could always come in handy.

Your Dad works with PLCs?? That's pretty cool :site:

As for using manuals and "F1". These are fine but you only really get the benefit when you have a little knowledge already in order to put into context what you are reading.

From the post that RussB was referring to, it was more of a contextual question that probably wouldn't have been answered from a manual or the F1 help file.

;-)

Not sure if you noticed but Phil's whole angle with this site is that "anyone can learn" to program a PLC. You have to start somewhere and hopefully, beginners and novices work at their given level and better yet, under the guidance of an expert.

I'm a novice that prob writes some PLC programs an expert would laugh at but it has been my experience in learning that alot of old timer programmers wont share there knowledge, so I have to learn on my own. I do appreciate this site for the sheer amount of combined experience and I hope I never have to work with an expert that wont help this novice get better and do things in a safe and effective manner. Because at some point all the people with 20 yrs of experience will have to retire and I hope someone has been properly trained to replace them.

I'm a novice that prob writes some PLC programs an expert would laugh at but it has been my experience in learning that alot of old timer programmers wont share there knowledge, so I have to learn on my own. I do appreciate this site for the sheer amount of combined experience and I hope I never have to work with an expert that wont help this novice get better and do things in a safe and effective manner. Because at some point all the people with 20 yrs of experience will have to retire and I hope someone has been properly trained to replace them.
old time programmers are usually older than PLC's or the availability of PLC's.
I am happy to help - but not happy to do all the work.
- I had to learn when I was younger.
- I was encouraged to learn
- Guided towards answers
- the work was never done for me.

THIS IS THE POINT
Now I am happy to do the same.

This is the Norm with most if not all of us on this site

Ian,

My experience has been that experts or "old timers" are willing to help, just not to the extent of actually doing the work as you mentioned. I find the forum here to be quite helpful in that way...I usually get pionted in th right direction toward solving a problem or a challenging programming scenario. Ultimately, it's about learning.

I can honestly say that if I resort to using this forum for help/answers, it means I've already put in many hours trying to sort the issue out myself; be it reading manuals or testing on the bench. There is great satisfaction in finding a solution through trial and error.

I agree that not everyone off the street should program a plc. With that said, after spending a couple hundred dollars on books and 6 months on research I need someone to program a panasonic plc for me. It is for a very simple fatigue machine that has 2 analog inputs and one digital output. I also need to record some data. Any takers?

I agree that not everyone off the street should program a plc. With that said, after spending a couple hundred dollars on books and 6 months on research I need someone to program a panasonic plc for me. It is for a very simple fatigue machine that has 2 analog inputs and one digital output. I also need to record some data. Any takers?

Hi,
I might be interested. If you could PM me with more info (exact PLC part #, will there be a HMI?, timeline, etc.) that would be great. I work full time but this sounds like something I could do on a weekend.

Thanks,

Dave