ControlLogix and SLC Communication using an emulator

Humphreys19

Hi Guys

I am new on here, I have about three years PLC programming experience and I am trying to do something that I haven't tried before. Hopefully somebody might be able to offer some assistance.

I have an AB1756L63 (ControlLogix) processor and a AB1756ENBT (Ethernet IP module) installed in a rack running a program written to communicate with an AB1747L551 (SLC 5/05) over Ethernet.

I have written the program for the SLC 5/05 processor but the only means I have of running the program is using the RSLogix500 emulate tool.

Is it possible to establish and test communications between the physical ControlLogix PLC and the simulated SLC PLC?

Welcome to the Forum, and thank you for the detailed explanation of your question.

The RSEmulate 500 software doesn't emulate the Channel 1 network port for any controller, including the SLC-5/05.

But it can emulate the Channel 0 serial port.

If you can, for test purposes, connect the SLC-5/05 to the ControlLogix with a null-modem RS-232 cable and change the Path for the MSG instructions to use Channel 0, the Emulator should respond to messages from the ControlLogix.

The principal difference between the ControlLogix and SLC-5/05 serial port implementations is that the ControlLogix uses BCC error checking by default, while the SLC uses CRC. It's easiest to just change the ControlLogix port to CRC.

Thanks for that.

I will see what I can do. I am just trying to set up two SLC programs on the emulator and establish comms on the channel 0.