Label Printer

Steve Wiebe

We are looking to get a new label printer.
This is mostly for heat shrink wire labels.
Our supplier handles Brady so we'd like to stick with them (no pun intended).
We are considering an IDExpert which seems to be well rated and the new BMP21 which we don't know much about.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve.

For field work i like the idxpert abc style. The bmp 21 is a cheaper version of the idxpert. I borrowed one from the distributor but it felt cheap made compared to the xpert. We have a bmp71 on order for producxtion dept so i will get to check it out also.

the IDexpert works well when it works. I have a problem with about every 4th or 5th label cartridge but it depends on what model label cartridge you use. I like the X11-498 which is a small white label I can use for either wire markers or component marking. These are the ones I have trouble with the labels not coming out unless I feed after every cut.

In the shop we use a 427 self laminating label for wire markers and never have trouble with these cartridges.

I have also had trouble with the sample cartridge that comes with the IDexpert, the big white label.

I do not have experience with the heat shrink labels.

When my cartridges fail I return them for credit to my electrical distributor. Consult with yours to determine their rate of return for the cartridges you want to use.

The IDexpert from Brady does not allow you to store jobs the way some other Brady printers do. It's a type and print kind of printer. For repeat jobs you'd want something that could store jobs.

Thanks for the feedback.

A co-worker was also thinking the price on the BMP21 would be too good to be true. Times are tough around here though so a better printer might be too expensive for the people who do the purchasing.

As for the IdExpert having troubles with flat labels, we have an old Labelizer printer for those that works ok. It's the heatshrink type I'm concerned about. If the IdExpert screws those up then it wouldn't be much of an improvement over our current printer.

Thanks again,
Steve.

Dymo make the Rhino 6000 which will print polyester, vinyl and heat shrink. Pretty good machine - bought one recently. Has software as well.
They also make a metal embossing printer with 12mm aluminium and stainless steel tapes.

I have been using idxpert for over 4 years with no issies with label cartridges. I have used almost every cartridge they have for it at some point over those years.

I use the heat shrink almost daily andd i have never had issues with the precut or continious.

Just my 2 cents.

I have been using idxpert for over 4 years with no issies with label cartridges. I have used almost every cartridge they have for it at some point over those years.

I use the heat shrink almost daily andd i have never had issues with the precut or continious.

Just my 2 cents.

That's good to hear as my boss has decided to go with the IDXpert.

Steve.

I've got the handheld IDXpert and it's alright. The cartridges are definitely the weak point. They run about $50-$75 and if they get slightly messed up, they'll never be right again and will cause nothing but headaches. You'll have to adopt strategies like feeding out (and wasting) one label before printing anything. If you are careful with the cartridges though, they perform fine. Never ever cut the labels while it's printing and be very careful installing the cartridge so that the labels don't pull out of the feed path.

The machine itself is a pretty decent labeler. The serial function is pretty handy and it has a great symbol library. I've done a couple panels with it and overall am positive on the machine.

I find that locking mine up and not allowing anyone else to use it keeps it in good working order. ;)