AB EN2T Module communication to DCS

lijochrn

Hello Experts,

Using AB for the first time. I need all of your help in understanding the concept.

Our PLC rack holds one EN2T module, which requires communication to the DCS.
I have seen the AOI for MODBUS TCP in the FAQ section, but the contractor said the protocol is not using MODBUS.

What are the other ways to communicate the DCS. DCS name I am unaware at the moment.
Please mention the possible methods of communication with a DCS/SCADA
1. Message Function? I have seen Youtube videos but it seems a method of communication between AB to AB? Please guide

2. In the forum I have seen a lot of comments about the CIP protocol. How can I achieve that if the DCS is capable of that? Any special AOI required for that?

3. RSlink OPC server in the DCS, this method is mentioned as well.
But I doubt whether the customer will buy links for the same.

4. EIP/PCCC has seen some FAQ using this method. I tried to search but no help.

Can anyone guide the right way of passing data to the DCS via a EN2T module?

Also, some youtube videos mentioned the product and consume tags, but will it serve the purpose?

Sorry for the lot of questions. We are totally new to AB PLC
Kindly guide. Thank You

We know about your PLC, it's a ControlLogix, but what about your DCS?

Ideally, your DCS will have some sort of Ethernet I/P module (Rockwell native protocol). I would avoid Modbus if you can since Rockwell controllers don't natively speak Modbus.

https://new.abb.com/control-systems/system-800xa/800xa-dcs/fieldbus-protocols

Producer/Consumer is a method to for 2 Rockwell PLC's to communicate to each other, not for 3rd party devices to talk to a PLC.

Can anyone guide the right way of passing data to the DCS via a EN2T module?

The way you phrase this implies you expect the PLC to initiate communications with the DCS. There are two native ways to do this:

1) Message instructions in PLC code. The DCS would have to support one of AB's PLC read/write protocols.

2) I/O device emulation. The DCS would have to implement the Ethernet/IP protocol subset for I/O adapters.

The EN2T also supports bare sockets, IIRC. Which are a managed from more message instructions in the PLC, to comply with the target DCS's ethernet protocol. Painfully complicated.

Typical DCS applications do none of the above. Instead, they implement AB's published data access methods on top of the messaging subset of the Ethernet/IP protocol. But this is initiated by the DCS--the PLC is passive in this mode.

You have to know what DCS you are going to communicate with to be able to make any real choices. If the DCS is very old it may only communicate via serial interface. If its a newer DCS just about every vendor does something a little different.

Thank you all for the reply. Sorry that I didn't mention the DCS make and the protocol to be used. We are still awaiting for the reply from them.
I will update it once we hear from them

The way you phrase this implies you expect the PLC to initiate communications with the DCS. There are two native ways to do this:

1) Message instructions in PLC code. The DCS would have to support one of AB's PLC read/write protocols.

2) I/O device emulation. The DCS would have to implement the Ethernet/IP protocol subset for I/O adapters.

The EN2T also supports bare sockets, IIRC. Which are a managed from more message instructions in the PLC, to comply with the target DCS's ethernet protocol. Painfully complicated.

Typical DCS applications do none of the above. Instead, they implement AB's published data access methods on top of the messaging subset of the Ethernet/IP protocol. But this is initiated by the DCS--the PLC is passive in this mode.
Thank You for the detailed explanation.
Sorry for my bad English, DCS only wants to monitor the data from PLC. DCS initiates communication. PLC is like a MODBUS server.

The protocol is not yet finalized. I will update.