Add Functions Online to AB Logix 5000

hein123

Hi, need to add stations to a line.
Just basically a copy paste situation however I don’t want turn off the line and renown load the entire PLC.

So question is can I do this online or is this possible?

Another question, while trying to safe a backup and uploading, I keep on getting a ‘Failed To Save Project. File not found’

Any suggestions?

Hi, need to add stations to a line.
Just basically a copy paste situation however I don’t want turn off the line and renown load the entire PLC.

So question is can I do this online or is this possible?

Another question, while trying to safe a backup and uploading, I keep on getting a ‘Failed To Save Project. File not found’

Any suggestions?

Usually that error comes from the file being on a network location and you losing connection to the network while you have it open. You can't even save it to a new local location on your own PC...

Now.. what are you adding? just logic/tags? You're good.

I/O tree elements? No, thats a shutdown event.

Adding IO depends on the version of 5000 you are running and the type of IO you are adding. For example you can add a 1747-AENT (SLC IO Rack) online but not a 1734-AENT (Point IO).
I have even been able to add the IO offline and export it. Then import it online. Just depends on the IO.

Adding IO depends on the version of 5000 you are running and the type of IO you are adding. For example you can add a 1747-AENT (SLC IO Rack) online but not a 1734-AENT (Point IO).
I have even been able to add the IO offline and export it. Then import it online. Just depends on the IO.

If you go to the "New Module" dialog, any I/O you CAN add online is highlighted, and any I/O you CANNOT add is greyed out.

Usually it's the older stuff that doesn't have the capability of being added online, because of the way the controller creates the "connection" to it. Most later modules have that capability.

You would think. But at least in Version 30, I can add a SLC rack but not a brand new Point IO. o_O

I guess it boils down to whether they decided to update point IO to include that capability, or whether it was indeed possible to include it, given the size of the inbuilt memory space.