how to be a Professional Siemens PLC STL programmer

HelloAll

anyone teach me how??

what are the steps to become a legend on STL ??

• Only use STL where it is appropriate.
  • Use LAD wherever it is possible.
  • Make sure the maintenance techs can read the program, even if they are not familiar with STL.
  • If you have to use STL, make sure to comment it as good as you can.

Regards,

To master STL, code anything and everything in STL. Test it, single step it, re-code it using as many different instructions as possible.

Here's a simple algorithm to start with. Write a function that calculates the sum of the numbers from 1 to n.
n is an int and the function should return a dint

Code:
Sum:=0
For i = 1 to n
Sum := Sum  + i
end_for

My advice is to read everything L D[AR2,P#0.0] has posted. I've followed him since I joined and he really knows his stuff.

If that's not a "Me Too!" thread I don't know what is... but its true.

Yeah, read LD's posts and s7guys also. Very informative, if you have wits you get lot better in few months.

And remember. Use STL where it is needed basic boolean logic should be done in LAD or FBD, improves readability with huge margin among maintenance techs.

To master STL, code anything and everything in STL. Test it, single step it, re-code it using as many different instructions as possible.

Here's a simple algorithm to start with. Write a function that calculates the sum of the numbers from 1 to n.
n is an int and the function should return a dint

Code:
Sum:=0
For i = 1 to n
Sum := Sum  + i
end_for
That piece of code is not STL (statement list) but structured text (SCL, I believe). It's like answering a question about assembly language by giving an example in Pascal or C.

I always advise to stay away from STL where possible. But SCL is a totally different piece of cake.

Kind regards,

anyone teach me how??

For real applications most programmers tend to avoid STL where possible to aid clarity for other people but if you really want to "learn" then I agree with LD... Program everything you can in STL to learn from it.

I would offer a further piece of advice and that is to learn a bit about assembly code programming before embarking on STL. I learned Motorolla 6800 assembly programming at college before I even knew what a PLC looked like and this helps greatly in understanding how registers are used.

Nick