beginner's question

plc-learner

I just started learning about PLC's and getting confused about the XIC and XIO instructions. Can someone please answer this question?

An NO limit switch is to be programmed to control a solenoid. What determines whether an Examine if Closed or Examine if Open contact instruction is used?

Is this a right answer?

It depends on whether you want to turn on or off the solenoid.
So if i the program wants to turn on the solenoid, you should a XIC or XIO function? :unsure:

It depends on application.

It can be becouse of sensor type.

One example, simple one.

You have conveyor, you have pnp sensor on start of next conveyor, you want to know its free so you examine if its zero in input image of your plc.

--]/[---( )

Then on other hand you want to know if there is part at that sensor to know when to start second conveyor.

--][--( )

So it depends on application.

It depends on whether you want to turn on or off the solenoid.
So if i the program wants to turn on the solenoid, you should a XIC or XIO function? :unsure:

it would be closer to think of it as it depends on the condition that the senser provides when activated. This can change whether the senser is source or sink, light or dark, or NO NC.