RSLogix 5000 troubleshooting question

ldjohnson

Hi all,

I learned RSLogix5 in school but am new to 5000. I remember there was a way in 5 to step through each rung of the program manually for troubleshooting purposes. Is there a way to do this in 5000?

Thanks

The SLC 500 offered a Single-Step mode. This was a feature of the SLC controllers. That feature was not part of the PLC-5 controllers though. I think *possibly* the RSLogix 5 Emulate had a single-step, but I wouldn't swear to it.

For the Logix 5000 I believe the same is true in that you can only single step with RSLogix 5000 Emulate.

OG

I don't know why it wasn't included. I suspect that the intent was that developers would test their code on the emulator instead of a live controller. But, just my guess.

OG

FWIW, and IMHO, I wouldn't trust Logix5000 Emulate to be a 100% emulation of hardware platforms.

I once got caught out by a huge "discrepancy" between the way Emulate and real hardware handled JSRs, SBRs, and RETs. This ruined a planned test regime using RSLogix Emulate. The code we had written, and used on other projects successfully, just didn't work in Emulate.

Since the real processor, chassis, comms and I/O modules had been supplied to the panel-builder, and subsequently shipped overseas to the client, getting it back in time to do the testing would have been difficult. We had to buy duplicate hardware to perform the witness testing.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were more discrepancies we didn't encounter.

RSLogix5000 Emulate is a cut-down version of SoftLogix, and I've yet to find anything, anywhere, that says you can convert between SoftLogix/ControlLogix without changes being needed. You can "Change Processor", but it doesn't mean what you have written will work.

FWIW I was also shocked by the official response to the complaint I made.

Of course, they may have subsequently and quietly "fixed" SoftLogix and Emulate to handle subroutine calls exactly the same as a real processor, how will we ever know.....