PanelView 1400 criptic tags

asterof

I hope someone can tell me what these tags are actually
pointing to. The PV1400e is talking to a PLC5/40
Please review the graphic. They must be some sort of alias
tag structure.
Thanks

PV1400.jpg

There are no aliases or tags in PLC5 applications; only memory addresses.

Although it is hard to read from your screenshot, I believe those are RIO communicating Analog IO word addresses (in 4 digit Binary-Code Decimal).

Because data space is so precious in the old RIO architecture, the PanelView 1200 and 1400e (and maybe even the PV Standard) allowed you to define an HMI tag that used only a certain number of bits out of a data word.

Binary-Coded Decimal was one way that old controllers (especially the PLC-2) encoded analog data. You'll find that some 1771 family I/O modules allowed you to set up the data to be BCD format.

If you're migrating the PanelView 1400e to a new platform, it's best to change the network as well. If you can't change the network and loosen up the data packing, then you'll have to go through some careful expression math to mask and shift the data for those tags.

If you can't change the network, you can also try the ProSoft module for Etherent to RIO.

That module will let you translate your RIO addresses into PLC-5 compatible addresses on Ethernet. Then you can migrate to whatever HMI you want.

I'm guessing that PanelView is getting block transfers over RIO. They appear to be aliases because the offset of the register is determined by the setup of the block transfer in the PLC5. Find the block transfer read and writes in the PLC program then you can determine the offset by comparing the source and destination registers.