s7 classic to TIA migration

dwoodlock

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just wanted to check with anyone and see if there's anything to look out for when doing a migration with s7-300 hardware.

New production setup coming up in a few weeks, and I'm making some additions to the existing controls setup, and figured I would go ahead and migrate it to TIA.

I've worked with 1200's quite a bit, but never s7-300 in TIA. With the s7-1200s I got used to programming using primarily DB's, but this project I'm migrating is from classic so lots of it uses the traditional memory bits.

Wanted to see if anyone has run into any problems with this in the past? Perhaps the DB style that siemens recommends for the s7-12's is more related to hardware?

Thanks

Yeah,

I initially tried to migrate the project with the hardware configuration, but was prompted that the controller wasn't compatible. I had a 315-2dp lying around, so I decided I will just replace the 312 with that so that it will all work.

I migrated the project without the hardware config and then just copy and pasted all the blocks into my new project with the new controller and same I/O.

Everything looks like it will work fine at this time, it just occurred to me that the classic stuff is more built around MB's than DB's.

Thanks

I think the best practice of using DBs vs M bits is true for both the new generation and old generation PLCs. That said, tons of people programmed heavily with M bits in the 300s, and I'm sure plenty of people use them extensively for 1200/1500 as well.

Getting the HW config migrated forward is usually the biggest challenge. I think the general recommendation is to migrate without the hardware and rebuild it in Portal, if you have HW issues. Sounds like you sorted yourself out there.

The other big challenge I see is that the Simatic Manager project needs to compile the blocks before it can migrate (Check Block Consistency). I find that very few projects get a proper compile in Simatic Manager, and most users learn about the tool when it is time to migrate.

TIA probably supports 95% of the 300 stuff, but there are some things that never made it over: things like technology CPUs, some of the special Function Modules for high speed motion, PDiag, CFC.

Thanks for the input. So far everything is looking good, compiles in TIA with no errors/warnings.

I'm using a FM352-Cam Module, and luckily even the setup for that card seems to be well integrated into TIA.