PLC on AUTEC Soft Cloth Car Wash

Hello everyone! I have an enormous project ahead of me that has somewhat reached beyond my knowledge of programming. I recently purchased an old AUTEC Soft Cloth car wash (pictured below) which features a main control panel that houses transformers, circuit breakers, relays and terminals. Most importantly, it houses the GE Fanuc Series 90-30 PLC (with various modules CPU 331, 3 input modules, and 4 output modules) that runs all wash functions. This PLC (one of its modules) is defective now and no longer runs, which makes it expensive to repair and replace. I have very limited knowledge on working with such a PLC and programming it despite searching online for hours.

SO, my dilemma arises. I want to have the ability to 1) run the wash on its own just as it would with the PLC brand new and 2) program the wash to run in a custom cycle that I desire. My question is: How can this be accomplished with the circumstances present? (Such as my limited knowledge and learning challenge with PLCs, a very small budget, and little access to replacements)

Thanks for any help you all might have. If anyone has any knowledge on this PLC series and programming/repairing please let me know!

I have extensive knowledge and programming experience using Arduino UNO and the IDE. My main goal after attempting to fix the PLC would be to construct a system of hardware relays and anything required to run this control panel and car wash with the Arduino and write a massive code that would perform the same system functions as the PLC.

I want to try as hard as I possibly can to get the PLC installed on the control panel currently to run correctly and to program it myself for a custom wash cycle. The Arduino setup would be a somewhat "last-resort" option.

(One picture is a schematic of the main control panel that houses the GE Fanuc controller and the other is a picture of the actual machine.)

Which module is defective and how do you know it's defective? A simple IO card will be way cheaper than and easier than any option. Especially when you rig it up with relays and it eats a car.

I don't know exactly how to troubleshoot the PLC so I'm not sure which module is fried. The owner instructed me that one module is fried. I am going to pick the actual control panel up tomorrow and will upload a picture of the computer. I do remember seeing the power supply module LEDs lit up fine.

What exactly does an I/O card do and what are the basics of them? Will I be able to program this PLC if I get it running? Thanks.

The IO cards are your input and output cards and are relatively cheap compared to the processor. It should be very easy to troubleshoot once you get your hands on it. Yes you will be able to program the plc once you have the software. Does the car wash not come with its own program from Autec?

Yes, the PLC comes with a program from AUTEC but I wanted to customive details and functions of the wash cycle.

When you say I/O cards do you mean the entire Input/Output modules that plug into the baseplate or I/O cards that go within these modules?

What should I look for tomorrow when I check out the computer while it is connected to power?

I do remember seeing the power supply module LEDs lit up fine.
If the "BATT" LED is lit it indicates a discharged battery. If that is the case there is no program in the CPU and unless you get a copy of the program from Autec, you'll have to start from scratch.
Based on the date on the drawing, the PLC was originally programmed using either Logicmaster (DOS) or VersaPro (Windows) programming software. Try to get a copy of the program from the former owner. Ideal would be the Logicmaster or VersaPro project file, but a printed copy would be better than nothing. That's because there will be no documentation included in what you can extract from the PLC. If the battery is not dead, and if you can't get a copy from the former owner, it may be worth it to hire someone local familiar with GE PLCs to come in and extract the program. That will at least give you an idea of how it is supposed to operate. It may be easier to modify a program with a track record of working properly that to start from a clean sheet of paper.

When you say I/O cards do you mean the entire Input/Output modules that plug into the baseplate or I/O cards that go within these modules?
The I/O cards are the modules that plug into the baseplate.

Last edited:
Alright I will check tomorrow and be sure to post a close-up video of the PLC and its state. I know the previous owner doesn't have the program because he bought the machine from someone else with little information. If the program can be extracted, is there any way I can then modify it on a MAC. I do remember studying on Logicmaster and VersaPro but found no information on where to download. The reason I ask is because I work mainly on a MacBook Pro and code with it.

Do the I/O modules still sell for this model? I remember seeing on the main website that this model was discontinued.

The 90-30 is now in mature status. Modules are still available from GE distributors and will be for quite some time. I believe the "last time order" for distributors is scheduled for late this year. "Last time order" means that GE will schedule a production run if necessary to fill the order. After that, new modules will only be available from inventory. It was a popular model, so modules will be available from dealers in vintage PLCs for several more years after GE distributors no longer have them. Furthermore, the I/O modules are compatible with the next generation model, the Rx3i.

I did some pricing on some I/O modules for replacement. They are very pricey (for my budget). I have very limited funds available for such a big project. Hopefully there are other options and replacing the modules will be a last resort.

Is it possible to program this PLC with a Mac?

Only if the MAC can emulate a Microsoft OS. Logicmaster was a DOS application. VersaPro and the current GE package called Proficy Machine Edition are both Windows apps. Logicmaster and VersaPro are both obsolete, so don't expect GE to do anything to allow them to run on a MAC. I'm not aware of any plans to allow running Proficy on any other OS than Windows.

You can use bootcamp or a virtual machine (virtual box is free) on the Mac. Your regular AC modules are only around 250$ from PLC Center/Radwell. Specialty modules can be well over 1000$, which you probably don't have.

So basically, I can run Bootcamp or a virtual machine to use VersaPro or rather, Proficy Machine Edition on MacOS. About how much is Proficy Machine Edition and where would I purchase it?

Sorry if this ignorant but, will these regular AC modules run/be compatible with the GE Series PLC?

Hello everyone! I have an enormous project ahead of me that has somewhat reached beyond my knowledge of programming. I recently purchased an old AUTEC Soft Cloth car wash (pictured below) which features a main control panel that houses transformers, circuit breakers, relays and terminals. Most importantly, it houses the GE Fanuc Series 90-30 PLC (with various modules CPU 331, 3 input modules, and 4 output modules) that runs all wash functions. This PLC (one of its modules) is defective now and no longer runs, which makes it expensive to repair and replace. I have very limited knowledge on working with such a PLC and programming it despite searching online for hours.

SO, my dilemma arises. I want to have the ability to 1) run the wash on its own just as it would with the PLC brand new and 2) program the wash to run in a custom cycle that I desire. My question is: How can this be accomplished with the circumstances present? (Such as my limited knowledge and learning challenge with PLCs, a very small budget, and little access to replacements)

Thanks for any help you all might have. If anyone has any knowledge on this PLC series and programming/repairing please let me know!

I have extensive knowledge and programming experience using Arduino UNO and the IDE. My main goal after attempting to fix the PLC would be to construct a system of hardware relays and anything required to run this control panel and car wash with the Arduino and write a massive code that would perform the same system functions as the PLC.

I want to try as hard as I possibly can to get the PLC installed on the control panel currently to run correctly and to program it myself for a custom wash cycle. The Arduino setup would be a somewhat "last-resort" option.

(One picture is a schematic of the main control panel that houses the GE Fanuc controller and the other is a picture of the actual machine.)

If it were me I would look into purchasing the modules off of ebay. This type of PLC can be had for cheap and you could buy spares for much less than if you purchase from GE. You should be able to contact Autec and see if they have the original program. I would do that anyway, even if the program is still in the PLC so that I can see what changes were made. Your biggest issue is going to be your lack of expertise. I believe you will need help since you dont seem to have any software or experience. I wouldnt mind helping but there would be alot of travel time involved and it seems that your budget is not that high.

Keep in mind that the arduino is not an industrial device. Im not sure that I would feel comfortable trusting the Arduino to handle this type of job where people and property could be damaged.

Last edited: