Compactlogix 5380 to SQL?

JZerb

So I have been getting more and more data logging requests so I've been doing some reading and research about how I want to approach it.

Systems are stand alone machine's, single PVP7S with a Compactlogix 5380. I have used the PVP ActiveX in the past for data logging, but i feel it would be easier and I would have more control if I just logged data in the PLC and dumped it into a SQL server. Is that possible with a 5380? Should I approach it from a different angle and use the PVP to log the data then send it off?

Looked into different platforms, ie Ignition, but I just wont be able to sell the price on the hard parts when comparing a PVP7S to a CPU and touch screen monitor on top of the Igition Edge license, which in the end doesn't even have the bells and whistles I need to do what I would like to do.

I only just discovered recently that the PVP's have a huge number of SQL DB functions in the ActiveX controls. I haven't yet used them, but it may be worth looking into.

What I have done for a project recently is use an Omron NX1 as an edge device between a CompactLogix L330 and SQL DB.

Have you looked into ignition edge? I've not used it, and I know it has limitations vs. full blown ignition, but it may still be cheaper than a PV even after purchasing an industrial PC + monitor.

Have you looked into ignition edge? I've not used it, and I know it has limitations vs. full blown ignition, but it may still be cheaper than a PV even after purchasing an industrial PC + monitor.

so the dilemma with Edge is that it's cheaper then full flow Ignition, but also much less capable. With Edge the only option you have, from my understanding, is one week's worth of store-able data for 'trending' if you so choose to display that on the HMI. If you want anything more then that data storage wise, you have to get full blow Ignition.

Ah yeah that's a bummer. If edge supports SQL bridge, you may be able to roll your own historian, though.

The Softing eATM module is the best way to get data from your PLC into a SQL or many other databases.

The module is easy to configure and once setup is rock solid. I have installed 12-15 of these in different applications using the ControlLogix Module.

The first link below is to the CompactLogix module and the second link is to the ControLogix module.

These modules are pricey so you may not want a unit on every PLC. If your PLC's are networking depending on how much data you need to move and how often you may be able to get away with a single ControlLogix unit that pulls data from all your PLC's and puts it into a SQL database as the ControlLogix unit will parse 500 tags per second.

https://data-intelligence.softing.c...n-chassis-modules/eatm-tmanager-compactlogix/

https://data-intelligence.softing.c...n-chassis-modules/eatm-tmanager-controllogix/

The Softing eATM module is the best way to get data from your PLC into a SQL or many other databases.

The module is easy to configure and once setup is rock solid. I have installed 12-15 of these in different applications using the ControlLogix Module.

The first link below is to the CompactLogix module and the second link is to the ControLogix module.

These modules are pricey so you may not want a unit on every PLC. If your PLC's are networking depending on how much data you need to move and how often you may be able to get away with a single ControlLogix unit that pulls data from all your PLC's and puts it into a SQL database as the ControlLogix unit will parse 500 tags per second.

https://data-intelligence.softing.c...n-chassis-modules/eatm-tmanager-compactlogix/

https://data-intelligence.softing.c...n-chassis-modules/eatm-tmanager-controllogix/

saw these, seemed just like what i needed. but wont work for the 5380 series IO.

saw these, seemed just like what I needed. but won't work for the 5380 series IO.

If you have 5380 then like I said in the original post network all your units together if they are not already and mount a 4 slot 1756 chassis close to the core switch that connects all your units together and put in a 1756 Ethernet card ( the faster the better) and add the Softing module in the same chassis.

If your SQL server is on your corporate LAN then add a second 1756 ethernet card to make that connection.