OT: Coronavirus do you care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Additionally, let's say that tied up 21 respirators. Start adding zeroes to the end and see what happens. I think that's a big problem, you probably could keep the mortality rate down if you had the health infrastructure. I doubt that's the case though....

This is the very big concern. Once the number of patients overruns the number of health care slots, that mortality rate can explode. My wife is a nurse and she keeps commenting that she is not really that concerned with death rate as she is with total acuity. If one patient takes up the bed and resources of 10 people, that is a very very big issue.

How are the Scandinavians handeling the problem?

I only know that Denmark has closed its boarders.

So what is the strategy in Nothern-Europe?

In Sweden the univeristies and high school are cloosed but the school for kids up to 12 years are open. They who can should work from home, people over 70 are asked to stay home, gatherings up to 500 are allowed but most events are closed eitherway. The boarders are open but it's not recommended to travel even within the country, and even if you can technically travel the airlines companies have most of their fleet in the ground. Some large companies are closing their factories but many are still open. Me myself haven't noticed anything regarding my customers other then employies that are in the office are working alot from home but the production hasn't stopped.

Also as a side note all hand sanetizer, mouthprotection(?), "painkillers" and other medication are beeing hoarded and also toiletpaper and many groceries are out in the supermarket. They can't get deliveries as fast as people are hoarding, wierd behaviour...

...They can't get deliveries as fast as people are hoarding, wierd behaviour...

We had the same thing in the US during the oil embargo of the late 1970s. People would get on long lines at gas stations, even if the tank in their car was already near-full.

This shifted enough of the of gas(oline i.e. petrol) inventory out of the tanks at the gas stations, and into the tanks of cars mostly parked in garages and elsewhere, that many stations would run out well before the end of their delivery cycle.

The initial response was to limit sales to 5 gallons per visit, but people simply kept their tanks closer to full.

Eventually, stations globally denied fill-ups to cars with half a tank or more when they came in. I still remember a local news broadcast with video of an attendant who looked at the gas gauge of a car (yes they would stick their heads through the open window to do this - very un-American) and said it was not below half so he could not fill it up, and the driver claimed "that gauge reads high." This was in the metro NYC/NJ area, which is not exactly unknown for its share of the self-entitled.

I think it would be funny if every time I went to Wegmans to buy TP, they sent someone to my house to count my inventory. Maybe we need a ladder program on a MicroLogix in every house to keep track, with external access via my modem and router. Is R-A missing an opportunity here? Now that's what I call IoT - Internet observing Toilet-paper! ;)

Last edited:
In Sweden the univeristies and high school are cloosed but the school for kids up to 12 years are open. They who can should work from home, people over 70 are asked to stay home, gatherings up to 500 are allowed but most events are closed eitherway. The boarders are open but it's not recommended to travel even within the country, and even if you can technically travel the airlines companies have most of their fleet in the ground. Some large companies are closing their factories but many are still open. Me myself haven't noticed anything regarding my customers other then employies that are in the office are working alot from home but the production hasn't stopped.

Also as a side note all hand sanetizer, mouthprotection(?), "painkillers" and other medication are beeing hoarded and also toiletpaper and many groceries are out in the supermarket. They can't get deliveries as fast as people are hoarding, wierd behaviour...

I would say somewhere in like 10 to 7 days ago depending on the specific measure: the same thing happend here.

Only when the gouvernement was talking about '1000 peoplemax', something about awarness started, last week friday was the start of social distancing....that friday-evening we had the corana-parties and in the weekend people started to come outside, but a fair number without distancing.....monday-evening the gouvernament stepped up and announced a lock-down-light (max 2 persons of 1 family outside, 2 m distance, only critical jobs can go to work)

From my perspective the biggest problem is the awarness of everybody: it's 'not yet happening' but the effects come +- 10 days later...neglecting social distancing

old and young...specialy they should have no contact.

distancing: 1.,5-2 meters

Do it

Yesterday afternoon I went for a walk to a park nearby, and I was surprised to see teenagers playing tennis, and gathering in small groups. Also, I saw kids from 3 different families playing together in the neighborhood. I understand that, for some kids and teenagers, this looks like a vacation, but it is not.
If one of those kids' families has the virus, is potentially spreading it to the other families, defeating the purpose of no school and no gathering.

Yesterday....

Same here, I am shocked that not all are taking this seriously, its very selfish... if we all do our part for a short period it would be over very soon and just a little blip on our lives of the big picture

Because they need to 'have a great time' someone else is going to lose their job and be laid off?

I am surprised how self centered society is and all they can think about is the "now" moment

Same here, I am shocked that not all are taking this seriously, its very selfish... if we all do our part for a short period it would be over very soon and just a little blip on our lives of the big picture

Because they need to 'have a great time' someone else is going to lose their job and be laid off?

I am surprised how self centered society is and all they can think about is the "now" moment

Like I said...we did the same.

Stop it right now.

Today the numbers are slowly rising in Belgium but we follow the Italian numbers....what we did, this effect I can tell you next week monday or thuesday....sadly enough we had our corona-parties on friday before the partly-lock-down

What you do now, you will see in 10 days

The EU is your future
I live in your past

But our paths differ now.

The art of politics.

The people will follow our example, no doubt about it.

Remeber this,

Remember what you did to avoid the snowball-effect.

Honour and integrity means now 2 m distance!

p.s.

CNN gave the best advice that I heared of any news-channel:

Act like you have the virus.

Last edited:
H1N1 (similar R0) only got 11% to 21% globally according to a follow up study. I think that 60%-90% is way too high especially with the precautions being taken to slow it down. I'd be surprised if it infects 5% before the vaccine is available.

R0 might be similar, but R is not. R for swine flu (H1N1pdm09) seems to be around 1.5, that is lot lower than R for SARS-CoV2 currently, that needs to be pushed down.

Also big difference on mortality, swine flu had 0,2% and over 60 seemed to have immunity already for it (also adding to what was the R after all). SARS-CoV2 has ten ore more times higher mortality rate.

You should take this serious and do what is feasible to lessen the possibilities for spreading it. Finnish Head of Development of tax administration just twiited he got the covid-19 and he got it from asymptomatic person within the 10 minutes he had exposure. The worst thing is that you can carry it and have zero symptoms.

The situation for me is far from a joke. I can already point out the fact that my income is declining. My company has fewer orders. We produce goods for the restaurant business. Many employees are upset. After all, we all have our own families, our own expenses. I have a few loans to pay. I very much hope that according to the tax topic 152. I will be able to get a tax refund. This will be a significant help for my family in the current climate. In the future I will think how to reduce costs.

Yup, multiple projects are on hold right now. Our state's unemployment system is already overwhelmed.

I already scheduled my tax payment for 4/15 and I'm not going to change it at this point even though we can delay it to July 15.

I would not expect conspiracy theories to have so much foothold in here.

Welcome to the 21th century. I bet you also think control people are more rational. I use to think that but realized that believe wasn't really based on fact either.

I had one of best tech telling us around the lunch table that John McCain (US War Hero and Senator) was responsible for a carrier fire that killed hundreds.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-mccain-fire-uss-forrestal/

I dont' know. I'm much depressed about humanity lately.

ramund,

I feel your pain. I just got a weeks unwanted vacation.
the auto industries shutting down and everything else going on.
we usually ship 30 trucks a day, today it's 11. the rest of the plant is shutting down in segments.

james

Welcome to the 21th century. I bet you also think control people are more rational. I use to think that but realized that believe wasn't really based on fact either.

I had one of best tech telling us around the lunch table that John McCain (US War Hero and Senator) was responsible for a carrier fire that killed hundreds.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-mccain-fire-uss-forrestal/

I dont' know. I'm much depressed about humanity lately.

I have been depressed about humanity too. But I indeed expected controls people to be somewhat more rational than common folk...

ramund,

I feel your pain. I just got a weeks unwanted vacation.
the auto industries shutting down and everything else going on.
we usually ship 30 trucks a day, today it's 11. the rest of the plant is shutting down in segments.

james

Even here its getting us as well.
Our already Very troubled forestry industry is completely shutting down on April 1st. The common narrative is here though that they will NOT be starting back up due to the how badly our government has stripped the industry of all functionality. A year & .5 ago..... forestry here was booming here and I was getting the most for soft wood lumber ever. I even purchased a 15 ton excavator with a processing head to cut on my land. Shorty after, the government started closing our mills due to protesting by a certain very small special interest group. Throwing thousands of generational lifestyle loggers and all associated forestry contractors out of work. Luckily, I have been in the trades and automation as well as logging so I "currently" have work, but now I'm working to pay for a forestry machine that is sitting in my driveway and not working everyday.
I have no idea what to do with it now. I can't even sell it as there is nobody to sell it to. I expect that if I production stops and I lose my job even temporarily, the bank will have to come and take it.

It sad as logging to me is almost therapeutic. Iv been at this since I was a kid. Its so nice to be in the woods, away from managers, computers and phones. Not sitting at a desk. Its also nice to see my kid interested in something other than video games. He loves unloading the loads of logs I haul out of the woods. Hes only 7 and cant get enough of it!

I was thinking of laying a decent size load of logs across the highway in protest. They could never move them without my equipment! You know what I mean... In protest of the special interest group that shut down our industry and killed a lifestyle in the area.

I feel lucky to still be working as I know many are not, I just feel we are loosing a big part of our local identity without forestry in the area.

I have been depressed about humanity too. But I indeed expected controls people to be somewhat more rational than common folk...

There are some stories of the good of humanity.

In Italy, 3D printing company making critical valves for ventilators
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...pinion/ventilators-coronavirus-italy.amp.html

Distilleries making hand sanitizer
https://www.ien.com/food-beverage/news/21122656/distilleries-are-making-hand-sanitizer

Special effects shops (and now I read beauty salons) giving masks and other PPE to local hospitals.
https://www.ien.com/product-development/news/21123450/fx-shops-send-safety-gear-to-hospitals

A large manufacturer of marching band uniforms has changed its sewing lines to make masks. https://fjminc.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.