Messaging, Vlans, Subnets

KyHx

I have two Vlans set up for two differnt control sections,(vlan id 1001 and 1003) they are also in two differnt subnets (10.100.1.xxx and 10.100.3.xxx masked 255.255.255.0).

I need to pass a SLC 500 write message from one control section to the other. Everything is Layer 2 Switches. Will a router or layer 3 switch fix allow me to do this? Does the router need to have two WAN ports?

Along with this question is it possible to bring the two vlans to one NIC card so that i don't have to switch ports on my switch to make programing changes to the separate control sections. I also want some factory talk screens to monitor the two sections.

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum !

The good news is that this is very ordinary IP networking stuff; A-B controllers use standard IPv4 addressing.

In general, you need a router to get packets from one IP subnet to another IP subnet.

You could do this with a "router on a stick" that connects to just one port of your switch and routes packets in and out over the same cable. Or you could connect a router to one port on VLAN 1001 and one port on VLAN 1003.

Or you could use a switch that has some routing capabilities. This is what's often called 'Layer 3' functionality.

Exactly what make and model of switch are you using ? Some allow an individual port to participate in multiple VLANs.

At the moment I have a Hirshmann Power MICE that is connected to the two plcs on separate vlans. I looked up the router on a stick method that you mention. Now there is a Mikro Tik router board connected to that switch that I believe will do what we need. Right now the Mikro Tik board is only being used for access to "The Dude."

Forgot to mention - in case it wasn't clear above, "router on a stick" refers to a router that is connected on one interface, but routing between multiple subinterfaces - between VLANs in this case, as opposed to the router having a physical NIC connected to each network. It works the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-armed_router

These "stick" travel routers are really slick, though.

Forgot to mention - in case it wasn't clear above, "router on a stick" refers to a router that is connected on one interface, but routing between multiple subinterfaces - between VLANs in this case, as opposed to the router having a physical NIC connected to each network. It works the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-armed_router

Yea I was just being facetious and I hope I did not confuse the OP or anyone else.

We've derailed this thread a little bit, so I'll go further: just one of these Asus WL330NUL adapters remained in stock at Frys this afternoon, so I picked it up for $39 plus tax.

Maybe I have a bad one, or maybe it's junk, but so far things don't look good.

Whenever I run the configuration utility and attempt to make a configuration change, it gets to 12 to 40 % applying the change and stops with a "Changes Not Saved" error. The basic mode selector page just sits there with the spinning Windows 7 busy signal, so I can't change the mode to "wired", to use it as a wired device. Just once it has picked up the dozen WiFi access points that are within range of my desk.

I'll keep messing with it, but I'm definitely keeping the receipt and the original packaging.

Ken

Make sure your firmware is up to date. Latest build is 3.0.0.24

Using the latest build I do not have any of the issues you describe and I have 2 units.

There have been a lot of firmware fixes since release though so check that first.

After two tries, the current firmware 3.0.0.24 went into the device and it appears to work a lot better. It will actually switch between wireless and wired modes and the utility is not permanently stuck in 'waiting' mode.

I'm not going to endorse something that was basically unusable off the shelf, though. (I'm looking at you, PanelView Plus).

I'm not sure I see the point of the ASUS WL330NUL.

I thought it could act as a WiFI AP to give me wireless access to a fixed Ethernet network but it doesn't seem like it.

Eg. PLC is 10.80.0.10.

Connect ASUS WL330NUL via Ethernet to PLC.

Connect laptop to ASUS WL330NUL WiFi AP. It assigns me an IP on the 192.168.1.x subnet with no way to change it via the administration GUI.

What am I missing that makes this unit so good/useful?

Edit: Oh, I get it. /facepalm.
Manually set WiFi IP to 10.80.0.x subnet. Can now connect to PLC wirelessly. Awesome

Last edited: