Making changes to Stratix 5700 while running

old97ss

So i have a question about making changes to a 20 port, stratix 5700 full software version while the line is running.

The equipment is currently running as an unmanaged switch with no ip address assigned which raises the first question.

1. Can I use bootp to assign an ip address to the switch or do i have to use the express setup??

2. Once the ip address is assigned I need to add 2 vlan, one management and one local. can this be done with minimal interruption to the line? i know HOW to do it I'm wondering if i will need the line down to do this?

Recently, I've changed IP address of Stratix 10 port switch while line was running. It was in same subnet and was done via express setup.

PaulB

i know HOW to do it I'm wondering if i will need the line down to do this?
I would advice you to schedule this task for the day you can have your line down. I have done setup with this switch in the past and some of the steps it needs, if I remember correctly, will require that you restart the Stratix as the settings in the flash will change and the device needs to restart, which will interrupt communication. I would assume the works-case scenario if I had to do these changes.

There is a risk that switch will powercycle itself after you make the mod. I would follow Alfredo suggestion to wait for a moment when the line is down

The changes you mention won't require a power cycle. They are immediate changes. But I'm still with others in waiting for downtime to make significant changes. Applying changes requires the switch to save settings which might briefly impact traffic on the affected ports.

As for using BootP, the Medium Press method of Express Setup allows a DHCP server to assign an IP address to the switch. If BootP works at all, I would think it would have to use this method. But there is no mention of BootP being supported, only DHCP.

OG

You can also setup the IP address using the console port with a serial cable. I used that recently because I had 121 switches to setup. Made a nice batch type file I could copy and paste into Putty and it made all the settings I needed. Way faster than going through the switch web site.
You can find all of the console commands if you google search Cisco Industrial switch CLI commands. There all mostly the same for Stratix.

Somethings you can do with all the automation running, and others you can't. My best advice is to setup a switch and small PLC network at your desk if you can (or your employer can) afford the hardware setup for practice.

For example, if you plug in to a port that has DTP enabled (dynamic trunking protocol) to another switch with spanning tree protocol enabled it will temporarily shutdown your network while the spanning tree protocol converges the network (sets the proper ports for blocking or passing traffic when you have more than one ethernet line that could cause a loop). This small shutdown even 2-10 seconds is enough to timeout your PLCs and CIP safety traffic and shutdown everything running

Other things you can get away with like assigning the management IP address. You should play with these things at your desk first and wait for an open window when the machines are not running. I've seen a lot of managed switches used as "dumb" switches with little configuration (which is pointless). If someone is going to use Stratix or Cisco then at least make effort to setup the VLANs and NAT and specialized ports for etherchannel or regular switchports.

So i have a question about making changes to a 20 port, stratix 5700 full software version while the line is running.

The equipment is currently running as an unmanaged switch with no ip address assigned which raises the first question.

1. Can I use bootp to assign an ip address to the switch or do i have to use the express setup??

2. Once the ip address is assigned I need to add 2 vlan, one management and one local. can this be done with minimal interruption to the line? i know HOW to do it I'm wondering if i will need the line down to do this?

Thinking closely about your question, if you change the VLAN for just one node like the PLC then all other devices dependent on communications with that node will time out and shutdown the line. I don't think you can easily change vlans with it running and expect the line not to shut down while you assign each switchport to their VLANs.

Try this during a downtime window.